Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Those three little words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those three little words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read an interesting article today about the movement of the words "I love you" from "schmaltzy" to being used everyday. The author said that since the U.S. was rooted in Puritan attitudes, we have been stingy with sentiment. A professor was quoted as saying, "We were a people of action. Who has the time to say 'I love you' when the cows need milking?" Another professor said the "old Yankee stiff upper lip started to quiver amid the cultural and social upheaval in the 1960s." The sexual revolution, the women's movement and a growing sense of wanting to experience the essential meaning of life were given as some of the reasons. The author called this the "linguistic equivalent of breaking out the fine china for everyday use."

Have you seen this? Is this happening in the U.K., too?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I am reminded of the Jules Feiffer cartoon depicting a couple embracing, both saying, I love you, and both looking into mirrors.

--------------------------------------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. "
Albert Einstein

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Actually, I wonder if I agree with the author. I tend to think it is much more cultural than anything else. I was raised in a family that wasn't very demonstrative. Yet, I married into a Jewish family that hugs the entire world. I have learned to hug now, and I have to say I like it. However, at first I felt a bit awkward.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Actually, I wonder if I agree with the author. I tend to think it is much more cultural than anything else.

I agree. The French, Italian, and Jewish friends I've had have all been very tactile; those stuck with the Puritanical or Calvinist tradition have been "untouchable."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Be ready for a great big hug next week, Asa. Wink

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Be ready for a great big hug next week, Asa. Wink

Shufitz wants to hug me? Big Grin

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
When Kallah and I see you and Sunflower, I'll be glad to hug you -- but you'll be my third choice! Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
You're gonna hug our two dogs first?