Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    This might fit in here somewhere...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This might fit in here somewhere... Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
This is a re-hash of most of the "facts" presented in the BBC TV show QI.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, the title of this book is quite relevant to a recent thread we've had. Wink

Shu says that the Cinderella mistake occurred because it was a French story and there was a mistranslation of "fur" to "glass." Since it's not a true story in the first place, I'm not sure I consider that "general ignorance." The story still works.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Yeahbut... The Spoonerized version sounds less funny with "slass gipper" than with "slurry fipper!."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I don't know how that's been released in the US but over here, as arnie says, it's a tie-in to the TV Series QI and is one of, I believe several volumes. There is for example a "Book of Animal Ignorance" which is all facts about animals.

I haven't looked at the books but as a fan of the TV series I'd have to say that you should take some of it with a pinch of salt. The things in it may well be true in a sense but often they rely on obscure technicalities, debatable interpretations and a kind of verbal sleight-of-hand in the phrasing of the questions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Shu and I talked about several of these tonight at dinner, and, Bob, you are correct that many of their "facts" are technicalities, such as that George Washington wasn't our first president.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
This Might Fit In Here Somewhere ...

An Iberian gay man named Walter
Took a mate and went straight to the altar
Those who were not gay
Were all sent away
They were the straights of Gibraltar.

It gives some teachers terrible pain
To see the word reign used for rein
As if they could prescribe
With reward, threat, or bribe
What is not all that hard to explain.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
One example that comes to mind from QI that exemplifies Bob's "obscure technicalities, debatable interpretations and a kind of verbal sleight-of-hand in the phrasing of the questions":

A question was asked in (I think) the first series, "How many moons does the Earth have?" Of course the answer was given as "One". "No, two" came the reply. There is a second one named Cruithne".

Two series later, the same question was asked. Remembering the first question, Alan Davies answered "Two!". "No, two more have been discovered since then".

Still, the TV series is good fun.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...while the number of days in a year? 364-15/62

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Mohammedans take a dim view
And the rest of us haven't a clue
Why Ms Gibbons down in Khartoum
Doesn't send the kids out of the room
And rechristen the teddy bear "Pooh."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
From tonights edition of Have I Got News For You

"they were going to name the bear Winnie the Pooh until they discovered that he had a friend called piglet..."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I must watch the repeat tonight...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post