Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    They're at it again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They're at it again Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In today's Tribune there were three, yes three, letters to the editor about the use of words and punctuation, which the letter writers call "grammar" (What else is new?).

I thought you might enjoy these (they aren't online so I am posting them in entirety here):

# 1

Reading the letter to the editor from reader Debra Morrison Petges ("Got language?" Voice of the People, March 18) inspired me to list my own "pet peeves" about how people use English grammar and the overuse of trite expressions. Not necessarily in any logical order, they are:

• Overuse of "bottom line," "in terms of," "at the end of the day," "awesome," "perfect storm," "rocket science," "open 24/7" and the abominable use of the word "irregardless."

• "It will be light years before that happens." "Light years" is a measure of distance and not time.

• Confusion between use of plural and possessive, such as "The Smith's live here." The apostrophe is incorrect. "This is the Smiths' house." This is correct for plural possessive. "This is John Smith's house," which is correct and is singular possessive.
- Norbert Weber, Palos Park

# 2

Annoying salutation

"Guys" drives me nuts! I'm not a guy (and have politely pointed this out in more than one restaurant). It is unfortunate that (mostly young) people will say this word constantly. (Don't they know that "you" works just fine?) It has already become commonplace, accepted and annoying!

— Nancy Cunov, Chicago

‘Amazing' speech

My heart leapt upon reading Tribune culture critic Julia Keller's desperately desired dressing-down of Americans' ubiquitous use of "amazing" ("AMAZING! The awesome, tremendous, titanic, stupendous, spectacular and totally unbelievable overuse of ‘amazing' is making the word mundane and oh-so ordinary — and why that irks, annoys, irritates and distresses us," Live! April 5). We can only hope that speakers heed her consummate analysis and upgrade their utterances. Nothing less than banishing the "a" word (and the other equally abused a-word "awesome") from all publications will do.

Never capitulate, Julia.

— Jane Friedman, Chicago

We Chicagoans are persnickety creatures...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post