Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Obama's Speech, old news?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obama's Speech, old news? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
This week I've read, and heard, quite a lot of analysis of President Obama's inauguration speech. There's a nice piece at Language Log, for example.

As that piece says, opinion has been divided but personally I thought it was very good. One thing I would say, is that when you are criticised by different commentators for opposite offences, you know you are doing something right.
It's like the old BBC argument, half the critics say its too right wing and half say its too left wing so its probably just about right.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I thought that Obama's speech was good and I believe that he is a fine speaker.

There is an interesting article in "Time" that suggests that there has been a shift in the way that the Americans perceive oratory. Whereas, for most of the last century, English orators in Winston Churchill's style were considered the best there has been a change. Now, following the style best exemplified by Martin Luther King, Afro-Caribbean orators are now looked up to as having the best oratory skills.

Would you agree?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure. I can't say I noticed any great Afro-Caribbean style or content in his speech, though it was indeed a very good one.

I would be interested in reading the article though, do you know if it's available on line?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Afro-Caribbean style

I can't say there's a particular Afro-Caribbean style, either. I think it just so happens that probably the two best orators of recent years were black.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the article http://www.time.com/time/magaz...9171,1871919,00.html

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well I've read it but it doesn't really say very much. What it does is state its thesis (African-American speech is now perceived as preferable to British speech) and support it with reference to a number of African-Americans.

What it doesn't do is offer any evidence that these particular people have notable African-American (as opposed to simply American) speech patterns (I'd have said that by and large they don't), any specific evidence of African-American vernacular in any of their speeches (or in Barack Obama's), or any evidence that they would even by identified as African-American by their voices by someone who had never seen them.

From the examples used I'd say that there is perhaps a little anecdotal evidence that deep and resonant voices sound more reassuring but that's about as far as it goes.

The article is long on opinion and short on evidence or analysis, though it seems perfectly unremarkable to me that the American public would prefer American accents to British ones.

None of which takes anything away from the President's speech-making abilty, of course.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The article is long on opinion and short on evidence or analysis, though it seems perfectly unremarkable to me that the American public would prefer American accents to British ones.

The article does suggest that this is a recent change. Not all that long ago it was the British accent that was preferred.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Of course I am biased because I voted for the man, but I was riveted on every word Obama said. That never happens when I listen to politicians. Obama's speech was one of the best I've heard in years. I would disagree with those who say (including Nunberg) that it wasn't memorable. I think it will be, though time will tell.

But, then again, I am prejudiced...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I can see a connection in style between Obama's speech and other great preachers before him, including Dr. King, but I argue that it really is more closely associated with preaching, rather than a particular ethnicity. Some of the phrases that strike me as being of that style:
the repetition of "On this day . . ." and later "for us . . ."
The declaration of the problems, and then ending with hope (although any good speech meant to inspire will do this)

I think if he really wanted to echo the style of Dr. King, he'd have done more of that repetition patterning, and perhaps history would remember it as the "On this Day" speech like we remember King's "I have a dream" speech. Instead, he opted for more substance (one of the things I really admire about the man) and more real meat about his philosophy.

I think it is a fine speech, and it was delivered very well.

I also think it is striking how quickly he moved into "work" mode. Admirable (again) because it feels like he really does intend to work hard to fix problems (rather than just work hard to get re-elected, which is the default, seemingly, in DC, IMHO).

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Obama said "pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off...," I wanted to burst into song.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post