Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Panic Room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panic Room Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
When CW was visiting us, we were teasing her that she needs to move to Chicago and buy this wonderful mansion that is on the market. After all, it is only $12 million, and the property taxes are really quite cheap...$63,000. Not bad, CW, right? I mean, I hear those librarians make a fortune! Wink

There was a comment in the article about a "panic room" in homes. What is that? I couldn't find it in Onelook or on Google.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe a "panic room" is a safe room where a person can lock himself up if he suspects someone has broken into his house.

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Yup. There was also a movie recently called Panic Room. We invented paranoia here in the US even if we let Freud name it. Wink

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Boy that house looked nice . . .

of course, considering that my hotel room had more bathrooms than my house has . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh - I couldn't get that article to come up, even after registering at the site. Can you help?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CW, I e-mailed it to you. Did you get it? I suppose no one else could see it either then? I thought if you got something from Google news, others could see it. Is that not the case?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The article link worked for me: "Just $12 million buys you this cozy Winnetka home".

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jheem:
We invented paranoia here in the US even if we let Freud name it. Wink

Aw, heck, jheem, I wouldn't be paranoid if everybody weren't out to get me! Now as for Freud, isn't that German for "joy?" Seems a bit ironic.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be paranoid if everybody weren't out to get me! Now as for Freud, isn't that German for "joy?" Seems a bit ironic.

Just remember, because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that everybody is not out to get you. As for myself, I suffer from narapoia (i.e., that uneasy feeling that you are following people).

Yup. Ole Ziggy Joyboy and His Cigars have been taking the piss for years.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for myself, I suffer from narapoia (i.e., that uneasy feeling that you are following people).

Utterly brilliant. How do you pronounce that?

I suffer vuja-de, that strange feeling that you've never been here before (props to George Carlin).

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and insomniac dyslexics lay awake at night wondering if there is a dog.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jo: ...and insomniac dyslexics lay awake at night wondering if there is a dog.
Consider the theological implications! For example ...