Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Oh dear...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh dear... Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted

Have a guess what's the new official beer of the British Football League. Go on have a guess.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's easy...Budweiser!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
yummy!

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
But not the REAL Budweiser, I take it?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The stuff sold here is brewed by Anheuser-Busch in this country, so I suppose it won't be identical to the similar swill sold in the US, but as close to it as makes no difference.

If by the 'real' Budweiser you mean the far superior Budweiser Budvar, then no.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Gee, you guessed it.

Budweiser, the King of Marketing Departments

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Whew! Am I ever glad that Richard is on vacation!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

If by the 'real' Budweiser you mean the far superior ]Budweiser Budvar then no.

Despite my not being a beer fancier, I do not consider the products of Annheuser/Busch to be beer. I do admit, however, that I have a cap with a Michelob logo on it, since they sponsored a human-powered aircraft that a friend helped to design and build. It holds the women's world record for human-powered flight. I'll wear the cap, but I won't drink the crap!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Since this board has introduced us to good beer and great places to drink it, one thing that annoys me is to go into a wonderful bar with many good domestic and international beer selections and then to see people drinking Bud Lite!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
The stuff sold here is brewed by Anheuser-Busch in this country, so I suppose it won't be identical to the similar swill sold in the US, but as close to it as makes no difference.

A-B are very proud of the consistent standards of their so-called beer and suggest that it is identical everywhere. Rather like Coca Cola it is equally vile wherever you buy it.

Guinness, incidentally, use different recipes for different countries to meet local tastes. So, although all Guinness will be black with a white, creamy head, the taste of a pint of Nigerian Gunness (and I drunk one) is quite different from that of a pint of Irish Guinness.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
A-B are very proud of the consistent standards of their so-called beer and suggest that it is identical everywhere. Rather like Coca Cola it is equally vile wherever you buy it.

Gee, R.E., I can completely understand your feelings about Budweiser seeing as how I share them myself and am heartily embarrassed as an American that the British Football League is now serving this vaguely beer-flavored fizz-water, but now you tell me you don't like Coca-Cola?? How can this be? Of the two leaders, I'm definitely in the Pepsi camp but I can't recall the last time I heard anyone describe either as "vile."

Rela-a-a-ax, R.E. "Have a Coke and a smile." It's go-o-o-o-o-ood for you!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guinness, incidentally, use different recipes for different countries to meet local tastes.
RE, I've started to see adverts here saying that Guinness now comes from the Dublin brewery. Do you know if the Park Royal brewery has closed?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I was discussing the Budweiser/Footbal League link with a friend yesterday and he made an interesting point.
Given the following

i/ the fuss a while ago about tobacco sponsorship of sport
ii/ the never-ending fuss about alcohol fueled sport (especially football) hooliganism

is it appropriate for any brewer to sponser the Footbal League?

This is emphasised by the fact that the only reason to drink Budweiser would be to get drunk. It certainly can't be for the pleasure involved.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris J. Strolin:
quote:

Gee, R.E., I can completely understand your feelings about Budweiser seeing as how I share them myself and am heartily embarrassed as an American that the British Football League is now serving this vaguely beer-flavored fizz-water, but now you tell me you don't like Coca-Cola?? How can this be? Of the two leaders, I'm definitely in the Pepsi camp but I can't recall the last time I heard anyone describe either as "vile."

Rela-a-a-ax, R.E. "Have a Coke and a smile." It's go-o-o-o-o-ood for you!

I'm just guessing here but I'd say Richard is a Vimto man.
(Did they ever sell Vimto in the US? I don't recall seeing it over here for many years now.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Vimto, but then that may just be I.

I like a Diet Coke when I am really thirsty. It seems to be able to quench one's thirst better than most drinks. On the other hand, regular Coke (or Pepsi or whatever), with all that sugar, actually will make you more thirsty. Even Diet Coke eventually will because of the diuresis the caffeine causes. Still, I like it once in awhile!
quote:
This is emphasised by the fact that the only reason to drink Budweiser would be to get drunk.
I think that is probably accurate.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I like a Diet Coke when I am really thirsty. It seems to be able to quench one's thirst better than most drinks.

Water is the best thirst-quencher. And I mean tap water, not that over-priced crap you buy in a bottle. I realize that tap water is crap water in some areas, but not here.

Remember the song...
"Old Dan and I, with throats burned dry,
An' souls that cry for water: (Water.)
Cool, (Water.)
Clear, (Water.)
Water. (Water.) "

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
Have a look at the ingredients on a bottle of Diet Coke - there isn't a single food item there. You are simply drinking some chemicals in a fizzy water solution.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but now you tell me you don't like Coca-Cola??

Horrible, horrible, horrible! Sickly-sweet yet acidic. Enough acid to rot the enamel off your teeth (ever seen what it does to a coin?) and more calories than an pint of decent ale. A thoroughly disgusting drink.

Coca Cola and McDonalds could maintain America's obesity epidemic all on their own!

If I want to quench my thirst and don't fancy a beer, then a glass of excellent Surrey tapwater will do me just fine.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sickly-sweet yet acidic. Enough acid to rot the enamel off your teeth (ever seen what it does to a coin?) and more calories than an pint of decent ale. A thoroughly disgusting drink.

Not Diet Coke. Sheesh...each to his/her own! I did say "once in awhile." You British are just too opinionated for your own good! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
quote:
Not Diet Coke

I'll admit that diet coke doesn't have the calories of its non-diet cousin. Just the chemical sweeteners whose names I have more than once seen associated with cancer and other diseases. I'd still not drink it - and yes, I have tried it and I do know what it tastes like.

I have yet to be persuaded that it is a drink of any virtue whatsoever. Like Dudweiser it is a triumph of marketing over quality and I feel sorry for those that shell out good money for such a disgusting concoction.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:
Not Diet Coke

Just the chemical sweeteners whose names I have more than once seen associated with cancer and other diseases.

And what about the ingredient phosphorus, which I've heard rots one's bones?

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Phosphorus and calcium have reciprocal relationships. Therefore, if you drink something with increased phosphorus, your calcium will decrease. If your calcium decreases, your bones are at risk for softening, such as happens with osteoporosis.

It's like anything else, if taken in moderation (as in my "once in awhile"), it isn't terribly bad for you. I agree that it isn't good, though. Carbonated drinks are acidic, and even when they don't have sugar, they still can promote tooth decay.

They surely are no worse than beer, though (I am asking for it, aren't I? Wink)

posted Hide Post
quote:
They surely are no worse than beer, though (I am asking for it, aren't I?

Yes. They are far worse than proper beer. Good beer has little or no sugar, very little acid and certainly no additives. And, as I have posted elsewhere, moderate consumption of good beer has proven health benefits.

There are no health benefits to sugary drinks like Cocal Cola. It provides a lift (from caffiene) and a burst of energy from the sugar. But after a short while the temporary lift goes and the body feels slight withdrawal symptoms. Which are easily solved by drinking another Coke. Which is probably why so many people are addicted to the stuff even though its harmful effects (tooth decay, obesity) are well-proven.

Stick to Real Ale and your body will bless you for it.

Richard English