Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    on the apostrophus and the hyphen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

on the apostrophus and the hyphen Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Things were so much better when orthography was ad libitum.

quote:
1. The learned printeres uses to symboliz apostrophus and hyphen as wel as a, b, c.

2. Apostrophus is the ejecting of a letter or a syllab out of one word or out betuene tuae, and is alwayes marked above the lyne, as it wer a comma, thus ’.

3. Out of one word the apostrophus is most usual in poesie; as Ps. 73, v. 3, for quhen I sau such foolish men, I grug’d, and did disdain; and v. 19, They are destroy’d, dispatch’d, consum’d.

4. Betuene tuae wordes we abate either from the end of the former or the beginning of the later.

5. We abate from the end of the former quhen it endes in a voual and the next beginnes at a voual; as, th’ ingrate; th’ one parte; I s’ it, for I see it.

6. In abating from the word following, we, in the north, use a mervelouse libertie; as, he’s a wyse man, for he is a wyse man; I’l meet with him, for I wil meet with him; a ship ’l of fooles, for a ship ful of fooles; and this we use in our common language. And quhilk is stranger, we manie tymes cut of the end of the word; as, he’s tel the, for he sal tel the.

7. This for apostrophus. Hyphen is, as it wer, a band uniting whol wordes joined in composition; as, a hand-maed, a heard-man, tongue-tyed, out-rage, foer-warned, mis-reported, fals-deemed.

[From Of the Orthographie and Congruitie of the Britan Tongue; A Treates, noe shorter then necessarie, for the Schooles, Be Alexander Hume, (ca.1617) chapter 10.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proper use of the hyphen in its capacity as compound adjectival modifier is very important, especially in legal documents:

one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater--has one eye, one horn, flies, is purple, and eats people

one eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater--has at least one eye but could have more

one eyed, one horned, flyin' purple people eater--two separate creatures, one having at least one eye and the other at least one horn

one-eyed, one-horned-flyin' purple people eater--one of his horns flies by itself; total no. horns however unspecified

one-eyed, one-horned, flyin'-purple people eater--creature's skin is shade of purple referred to as "flyin'"

one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple-people eater--eats only purple people

one-eyed, one-horned-flyin'-purple people eater--one of his horns is of flyin' purple hue

one-eyed, one-horned, flyin'-purple-people eater--eats only purple people who also fly

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I find it odd that as we dismiss the use of the hyphen (whoever says, "out-rage" to-day?) we increase in use - or, should I say, misuse - of apostophe's Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Its specially tragic when the mis-use of apostrophe's has lead to our youth's use of tobacco, alcohol, and who knows what else .... ?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
What else? Why, to playing pool!!!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post