Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    What does it take to be an American / Brit / Aussie?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does it take to be an American / Brit / Aussie? Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pseudo-science.

Which bit and why?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Richard, I was wondering that, as well.

Surely lactose intolerance is fairly common, especially among certain racial groups. Yet, it is not difficult to treat with lactase, the enzyme needed to digest lactose. Some children of course have extreme allergies and can't tolerate any milk products. That situation, though, is quite different and quite rare.

The fact is, milk products are the best source of calcium partly because they contain a lot of calcium, but also because the body absorbs calcium from food much better than it does from dietary supplements. Medical research has definitely shown that. In the US 44,000,000 people have osteoporosis (structural deterioration of bone) with it costing Americans $18 billion in 2002. With children drinking more soft drinks and less milk, the problem is increasing and becoming more severe at a younger age. I was recently reading a research report that said there is a statistically significant increase in bone fractures in children, partly because of a decrease in milk intake.

Interestingly, calcium intake has also been linked to hypertension. Here is a link to an article, though the most important aspect, for this post, can be found in this statement: "A food pattern that emphasizes low-fat dairy products (3–4 servings daily) and fruits and vegetables (8 servings) exerts significant antihypertensive effects. These effects are comparable in magnitude to pharmacological management of mild hypertension." Most cardiovascular experts agree with this, and it surely isn't "pseudoscience."

So...don't stop eating and drinking milk products yet, please!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The SF story I was speaking of was, if memory serves me, The Food of the Gods by Arthur C Clarke. I can't find my copy so might be wrong.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Food of the Gods by Arthur C Clarke

Funny, The Food of the Gods was also the title of a story by HG Wells. Made into a bad movie at one time or another.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post