Wordcraft Community Home Page
Irish accents; a question

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/4901070225

February 07, 2008, 11:43
shufitz
Irish accents; a question
Concerning the history of internecine violence in Northern Ireland:

I've heard that one of the difficulties is the great number of varied accents. If you're from somewhere else, your ordinary conversation rubs that fact into others' faces, just by your accent.

What degree of truth is there in this?
February 07, 2008, 11:51
BobHale
I've not heard this but it sounds unlikely. The problems can be between people on the opposite sides of the same street and I wouldn't have thought accent had much to do with it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
February 07, 2008, 11:52
jerry thomas
"An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him ..."

Alan Jay Lerner quotes
February 08, 2008, 08:50
arnie
It's certainly true that there are many different local accents in Ireland, just as there are in England, Wales, and Scotland. In the same way that most accents in Britain appear 'English' to, say, an American, most English people just hear an 'Irish' accent, although many can at least tell whether the speaker comes from the North or South.

In addition, there are certain shibboleths that enable the hearer to tell if the speaker comes from a Catholic or Protestant background. For example, the letter 'H' is pronounced 'aitch' by Protestants, 'haitch' by Catholics.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.