Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Irish accents; a question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Irish accents; a question Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Concerning the history of internecine violence in Northern Ireland:

I've heard that one of the difficulties is the great number of varied accents. If you're from somewhere else, your ordinary conversation rubs that fact into others' faces, just by your accent.

What degree of truth is there in this?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've not heard this but it sounds unlikely. The problems can be between people on the opposite sides of the same street and I wouldn't have thought accent had much to do with it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
"An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him ..."

Alan Jay Lerner quotes

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's certainly true that there are many different local accents in Ireland, just as there are in England, Wales, and Scotland. In the same way that most accents in Britain appear 'English' to, say, an American, most English people just hear an 'Irish' accent, although many can at least tell whether the speaker comes from the North or South.

In addition, there are certain shibboleths that enable the hearer to tell if the speaker comes from a Catholic or Protestant background. For example, the letter 'H' is pronounced 'aitch' by Protestants, 'haitch' by Catholics.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post