Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Brave in the attempt...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brave in the attempt... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In an article about the first international games of the Special Olympics, they called the players "intellectually disabled." Is that the new politically correct term for "mentally challenged" or whatever the word is for "mentally retarded" these days?

BTW, note that the Special Olympics were conceived of in Chicago by a 23-year-old park district employee who is now on the Illinois Supreme Court.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm far from an expert on PC, but disabled seems to be very wrong.

Disabled should mean just that. Unable to do something. Not less able than most. If not, then what does partially disabled mean?

<Proofreader>
posted
"Partially disabled" means you can't work at all because of an on-the-job injury, so you qualify for a tax-free pension. Then, while out of work hurt, you enter and win a body-building contest. An actual recent court case. Bonus points: Your lawyer says you only went to the gym to overcome the loneliness of your monotonous (tax-free) days.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, others have told me that "disabled" isn't an acceptable term. Yet, this was written in the editorial section of the paper, and they are usually so careful.

<Proofreader>
posted
I deplore the lack of precision in the euphemisms you listed. Their inadequacy is revealed by Kalleh's having to ask what the latest term is. Each term eventually acquires the stigma of being a bad choice and needs a replacement term, which needs a replacement term, ad infinitum. But they all return to a specific: mentally retarded, which I always consider an "acceptable term."

As examples of their lack of specificity: Isn’t everyone, at one time or another, in some degree or another, mentally challenged or intellectually challenged or differently abled? The first two certainly describe me when I try to recall what I was supposed to pick up at the store, or when I'm trying to find a rhyme for my (some say) retarded limericks. Kalleh probably finds yourself intellectually challenged at times during her linguistic lessons. And don’t we all perform some tasks better or worse than other people can, so everyone is to some extent "differently abled?"

posted Hide Post
A very murky, and constantly changing, landscape.

Take crippled. It is hardly ever used today to describe a person, but used to be the standard term. Disabled and the related disability are now the words du jour, but only in referring to physical injury. But the special case of disability income or status can be used for any condition, so long as it is used in a general manner.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kalleh probably finds yourself intellectually challenged at times during her linguistic lessons.
Yes, I suppose you are correct.

However, the problem with "mentally retarded" is how it has evolved over the years. Had it retained its original meaning, it would be acceptable. Now it is quite an insulting phrase, and I can't agree that it should be an "acceptable term," merely because at one time it worked. "Intellectually disabled" seems to describe the situation well, though there is that problem with "disabled." However, I prefer it to the derogatory "mentally retarded." We mustn't forget that language evolves. Some don't like it, but it happens regardless.

<Proofreader>
posted
The group that oversees "developmentally chanllenged" people in RI is called the "Association of Retarded Citizens." My brother is served by them and we see nothing derogatory in the title. What would offend us is if they were to change it to the condescending "Association of Special People," or something of that ilk.