Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Quotes on the Piccadilly line
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quotes on the Piccadilly line Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
As a lover of quotes (I use them in all my talks), I enjoyed this article about British subway drivers, and other staffers, being issued manuals of quotations from famous authors and philosophers, such as the following by Sartre: "Hell is other people." I hope Chicago does take up that idea, as the editorial suggests.

[BTW, I am on the train that they write about at the beginning of the editorial where some inane announcer must say 19 times in a row: "This train will not go to Ravinia" and then he goes on, ad nauseum, to tell those riders what they must do.]

[Edited from "Hello is other people" to "Hell is other people." Thanks for the heads up, Bob!]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I love the sentiment of "Hello is other people" but I've a feeling Satre's was the rather more misogynistic "Hell is other people."

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Or "Hello -- it bothers people."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I corrected the typo. Sorry about that!

BTW, I am working hard and heavy on an initiative that will transition new nurses to practice (much like a residency program in medicine). I found this quote the other day that is perfect..and I just love:

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." ~ Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
...Speaking of quotes, I was looking for a quote for someone who lost her brother, and found this one from Edvard Munch:

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."

It sounds like Munch! I think I'll not use it...