Hungarian?

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/5460077176

June 08, 2014, 17:49
BobHale
Hungarian?
http://www.gameswithwords.org/WhichEnglish/

This is interesting.
It was quite right about my country and my first language.

It gives three guesses for each and its second guess for my native language was Hungarian. I wonder which feature of my language led to that idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
June 08, 2014, 18:21
<Proofreader>
They were correct for my ethnicity (English, Swedish, and German). However, they were only right about my dialect being American. The other choices were Black and Singaporean -- both not even close.

It may be because several of the choices were not how I would speak, so I had to choose the closest representation. That may have skewed the result somewhat.
June 08, 2014, 19:13
BobHale
I think the number one choice is what you are supposed to look at - the others are alternatives if the first one proves to be wrong.

Anyway - I did it again giving all the weirdest answers and they suggested that I am an Arabic speaker from Singapore - I didn't complete the last bits as I don't want to screw with their research.

June 08, 2014, 19:14
BobHale
And where my "correct" answer wasn't there (when I did it properly), I left the question blank.

June 08, 2014, 20:40
<Proofreader>
I couldn't leave most blank since it kept refusing to accept a blank.
June 08, 2014, 23:13
BobHale
You got me baffled proof. Apart from the pictures and the next three or four (which all have really straightforward selections) EVERY page can be left blank. I know because I've just done it.

June 09, 2014, 00:09
arnie
I came up the same as Bob: English, Welsh or Scottish with an alternative of Hungarian.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 09, 2014, 05:34
<Proofreader>
I went back and checked. I was trying to enter info where I should have picked a choice from the list. Misunderstood several of the instructions.
June 09, 2014, 18:25
Geoff
The linked-to site refuses me admittance. Is there a servant's entrance?
June 09, 2014, 20:58
Kalleh
Yes, my message was the site was under maintenance.
June 09, 2014, 21:10
BobHale
I suspect that as this is spreading really fast on FB their server may have crashed

June 10, 2014, 12:26
arnie
Yes, I saw it on FB (not Bob's page) before I saw it here. The site was working when I checked just now.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 10, 2014, 13:41
Geoff
I got into the site. It thinks I'm Scottish. Perhaps not a bad guess, since Scottish culture was predominant in my native Northwestern part of South Carolina. It also thinks I may know Swedish and Dutch. I can get my face slapped in Swedish, but not in Dutch.