Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Hungarian?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hungarian? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
http://www.gameswithwords.org/WhichEnglish/

This is interesting.
It was quite right about my country and my first language.

It gives three guesses for each and its second guess for my native language was Hungarian. I wonder which feature of my language led to that idea.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
They were correct for my ethnicity (English, Swedish, and German). However, they were only right about my dialect being American. The other choices were Black and Singaporean -- both not even close.

It may be because several of the choices were not how I would speak, so I had to choose the closest representation. That may have skewed the result somewhat.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think the number one choice is what you are supposed to look at - the others are alternatives if the first one proves to be wrong.

Anyway - I did it again giving all the weirdest answers and they suggested that I am an Arabic speaker from Singapore - I didn't complete the last bits as I don't want to screw with their research.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And where my "correct" answer wasn't there (when I did it properly), I left the question blank.

<Proofreader>
posted
I couldn't leave most blank since it kept refusing to accept a blank.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You got me baffled proof. Apart from the pictures and the next three or four (which all have really straightforward selections) EVERY page can be left blank. I know because I've just done it.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I came up the same as Bob: English, Welsh or Scottish with an alternative of Hungarian.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I went back and checked. I was trying to enter info where I should have picked a choice from the list. Misunderstood several of the instructions.

posted Hide Post
The linked-to site refuses me admittance. Is there a servant's entrance?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, my message was the site was under maintenance.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I suspect that as this is spreading really fast on FB their server may have crashed

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw it on FB (not Bob's page) before I saw it here. The site was working when I checked just now.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got into the site. It thinks I'm Scottish. Perhaps not a bad guess, since Scottish culture was predominant in my native Northwestern part of South Carolina. It also thinks I may know Swedish and Dutch. I can get my face slapped in Swedish, but not in Dutch.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post