Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The death of English in advertising
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The death of English in advertising Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
This is a copy, including punctuation and typface, of an advertisement currently prominently displayed on all the West Midland Metro trams.

You know where it s All at the Kings square shopping Centre

That's the way to deal with those pesky apostrophes. Replace 'em with spaces. But what's the deal with the random capitalisation and bolding and what the heck does the sentence mean, anyway?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
All is not completely lost; at least not in the New York subway, apparently. A news article recently appeared in the NYT with the headline "Celebrating the Semicolon in a Most Unlikely Location". See http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940CE1DD...sq=Semicolon+&st=nyt

That the correct use of a semicolon should be deemed newsworthy is, however, decidedly depressing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:

That the correct use of a semicolon should be deemed newsworthy is, however, decidedly depressing.

Agreed. However, tossing a perfectly recyclable newspaper into the trash is also decidedly depressing, especially when prompted to do so by a civic authority. Frown

Posts: 249 | Location: CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh noes! English is dying! 309,352,280 speakers worldwide just isn't enough to save it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of our Board members once said, "The sentence is lacking a semicolon." I don't think any sentence ever needs a semicolon. To me, it's optional and could be replaced by other punctuation, depending on the sentence. I could be wrong, though.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, it's optional and could be replaced by other punctuation, depending on the sentence. I could be wrong, though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that; there are times when a semi-colon is correct and couldn't simply be replaced. But the sentence could always be recast - often quite simply - to avoid the need for semi-colon use.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
tossing a perfectly recyclable newspaper into the trash is also decidedly depressing

Agreed. Outside the London terminus I use, however, are several bins specially dedicated to newspapers for recycling. I can't speak for the other stations, though. In addition, my local council is busily replacing its street litter bins with dual purpose ones which have 'recyclable' and 'unrecyclable' containers.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
But no one has yet tried to explain the bizarre typography or the precise meaning of the original sentence. Frown

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
But no one has yet tried to explain the bizarre typography or the precise meaning of the original sentence. Frown

What explanation is needed other than that of ignorance on the part of the signwriter, and parsimony on the part of the organisation who commissioned his work and didn't pay to have it professionally proofed?

Insofar as the meaning, I suspect it was supposed to read:

You know where it's all at - the King's Square Shopping Centre!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Bob, you mentioned the sign's punctuation and typeface, but not the colour. If it was multicoloured, is it possible that the punctation disappeared into the background, in the same way that the "i" is almost invisible in "multicoloured" above? I've seen some pretty horrible mishmashes using several colours, although most are produced by individuals as one-offs using their PC, rather than by 'professionals', I'll admit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Afraid not. Plain black on a plain yellow background.