Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Odd phrasing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd phrasing Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Heard on TV as I walked through the room where my Dad was watching Springwatch.

"While some of you were out in the sun at the weekend, here at Springwatch we were burning the midnight oil."

Where? Iceland? Northern Alaska?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This time of year it would be Antarctica.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Certainly a mixed metaphor.

I was going to mention what I thought was a similar misuse but, when I looked it up, the usage was correct, if infrequently used here.

The bankruptcy filing by General Motors was being discussed on NPR and the host was questioning a British auto expert about GM's chances. The expert said UK officials had once sought to have British automakers join to make one big company (something I had never heard of, so believe it at your peril). He said the "successful companies and the lame duck companies" held talks related to the merger.

I thought the term "lame duck" only applied to elected officials (which is how we would use it here in the States) but have learned it also applies to ineffectual or disfunctional entities. That something new for me today.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I heard that report too, and it seemed odd to me also. I also thought it odd that he praised BMW for carrying on with the Mini. The BMW Mini has nothing except the name in common with the brilliantly designed/poorly executed original British Motor Corporation Austin/Morris vehicle. Some expert he is! Harrrumpff!

<Proofreader>
posted
I guess you're automatically an expert if you tell people you are -- and they believe you.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It certainly has the wider use over here. In fact it's by far the commoner use.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post