Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Nominations for 2007 word of the year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nominations for 2007 word of the year Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Here are the nominations for the 2007 words of the year from the American Dialect Society. Some of them seem a little lame, but I do like a few, like Googlegänger and celebutard.

Speaking of new words seen this year, the Chicago Tribune lists "Celebrity Word Power" words that have been coined this year when "the mere 1 million words already in the English lexicon are completely inadequate for describing Hollywood's bizarre goings-on."

Adoptopholic - (description for Angelina Jolie)
Scientolotot - (description for Suri Cruise)
Heir-head - (description for Paris Hilton)
Celebuspawn - (description for Shiloh Pitt-Jolie
Robowife - (description for Katie Holmes)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
From the Webster's New World Dictionary:

"Grass station" - meaning a theoretical place where cars can someday fill up with ethanol.

An also ran for MW:

"L33t" for "elite"

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of the American Dialect Society, so I looked it up. My first discovery was this bit about the word of the year nominations. Very cool! I like that they are "whimsical" and that they recognize that it is normal people using the words that put new words into the lexicon.

With their annual meeting being later this week in Chicago, I wonder if we'll hear more from the news, Kalleh?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Shu was planning to attend, but something came up. I'd love to see a large group of linguists in action!