Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Bad advice from TED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad advice from TED Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I have just seen a post from IDEAS.TED.COM that gives advice to potential employers about the questions to ask in interviews. It's remarkably stupid. The three questions to the candidate are.
1. What traits from your parents would you like to have and pass on to your children? (This question is inappropriate and probably illegal.)
2. What is 25 times 25? (Apparently intended to put the candidate under pressure.)
3. Tell me about three people whose lives you have positively changed and what they would say if I called them. (Discussing other people in the interview without informing them first seems a bit off.)

The other two questions are for the interviewer to ask himself/herself "Would you like to take this person home for the holidays?" and the receptionist "How were your interactions with the candidate. The first is inappropriate. I will admit the second is possibly useful but nothing that people don't do routinely already.

Anyway, I would certainly fail my three questions if I were applying because I wouldn't be able to resist facetious answers.

1. Characteristics from my parents? Well my Dad liked to dress up as a clown and hide in telephone boxes and my mother was the notorious Wolverhampton canary strangler. So I'd like his sense of fun and her delicate hands.
2. Here, give me your phone, I'll install a calculator app for you.
3. Well, I could give you the names of people whose lives I have positively changed but you might have trouble contacting them. My last job was in a euthanasia clinic

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No wonder Britcoms are so funny!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've been told I should go on the stage but I think they meant the first stage out of town.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's better than the third stage of a ballistic missile.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post