Wordcraft Community Home Page
Californicate

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/6331036744

March 26, 2007, 20:28
Kalleh
Californicate
I have to confess, not being from the West, I had always thought Asa's "Californicate" was a term that he invented. After all, he is quite clever! I read a funny article today about people in Las Vegas blaming the Californicators for smoking bans in bars. Apparently "Californicate" was coined 30 years ago in Oregon with a bumper sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Oregon." Is that the case? I tried to look it up, but it's in no dictionaries, except those unreliable slang ones.
March 27, 2007, 03:43
arnie
You mean to say you've never heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album named Californication? Eek

Your education is sadly lacking. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 27, 2007, 05:56
Richard English
quote:
You mean to say you've never heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album named Californication? Eek

Although I have never actually listed to their music through choice, I did hear them rehearsing in Hyde Park. This was particularly unfortunate as I was trying to make myself heard at Speakers' Corner, where I was making a speech on beer.

You can see a recording here if you're interested www.retraining-uk.com

Richard English
March 28, 2007, 21:32
Kalleh
quote:
Your education is sadly lacking.

Sadly lacking, I agree. Wink

On the other hand, they could have gotten the idea from Asa, right? Razz

Hey, I was looking for the origin of this word. I was surprised that it wasn't in any of the dictionaries.
April 01, 2007, 00:18
BobKberg
To the best of my knowledge, the Oregon reference is correct. And the timing matches.

Bob
April 01, 2007, 04:52
zmježd
I'm heading off for Oregon in an hour or so. I'll ask some of the proverbial men in the street. Maybe even Asa when I see him later in the week. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
April 01, 2007, 19:50
Kalleh
Oh, have fun with Asa and Sunflower! They are a great couple, and I am sure they will forgive your californication. Wink