Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Here's a good one...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's a good one... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I had to get off the chat early today because there was going to be a presentation on "linguistics when designing test questions." Of course much of it was "same old, same old." Don't use the passive voice, don't be wordy, write clearly, etc. However, one faculty member said that her student came up to her during a test and asked for the definition of a word. You will not guess what the word was: able! They couldn't believe it, nor could I. The word was being used as, "...the nurse was able to..." so there was nothing odd about its use. Also, they swore the the student wasn't joking.

Is that weird or what???

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Any different from the jury that wanted a definition of "unanimous"?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd say so. Isn't able like a 3rd grade word? These are college students!

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Mind you, although it's a word we all use and (most of us) understand, it's not a word that's all that easy to analyse. It's an adjective - but unlike most adjectives it tends not to have a solitary existence.

I recall having a discussion once about the word "must" - which again is common and commonly understood. But what is the infinitve of the verb? There is no verb "to must".

In the end we agree that the infinitive of must is " to be obliged to "

Roll over to check the answer.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've been roling over for twenty minutes and I'm sore all over but the answer still hasn't come to me.

posted Hide Post
It was Ataturk's nickname - short for Mustafa. And his illegitimate son was a mustard.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I guess you had to be there.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think able is a perfectly understandable word to define. The way it was used in the exam was something like, "The patient was able to. Given that, this definition fits nicely: "( postpositive ) having the necessary power, resources, skill, time, opportunity, etc, to do something: able to swim."

You don't think a high school student should know the word "able?"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I think able is a perfectly understandable word to define. The way it was used in the exam was something like, "The patient was able to. Given that, this definition fits nicely: "( postpositive ) having the necessary power, resources, skill, time, opportunity, etc, to do something: able to swim."

To define or to understand, yes. But I did write, "...Mind you, although it's a word we all use and (most of us) understand, it's not a word that's all that easy to analyse. It's an adjective - but unlike most adjectives it tends not to have a solitary existence..."

And I do agree that any nromally educated child of ten should know how to use the word "able". But knowledge of application is not the same as complete understanding. We all know how to use a computer - but do we understand all of its complexities?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But knowledge of application is not the same as complete understanding. We all know how to use a computer - but do we understand all of its complexities?

Of course if we looked at all words this way, nobody would be expected to understand the application of any word.

posted Hide Post
The application of some words is easier to understand than that of others, I reckon.

In this sentence, the first word, "the", has few different meanings and applications. Whereas "reckon" has at least six verbal meanings.

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely they should! I totally agree! Alas, I think High School students should know any number of things they prove themselves ignorant of daily.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post