Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The "X" factor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "X" factor Login/Join

posted
Today an Xfinity van was parked at a neighbor's house, presumably to extract an unconscionable wad of cash from them for internet and/or TV. I got to thinking just how absurd the name is. Using any sort of English that I know I cannot think of a way to pronounce "Xfinity."

Perhaps I should cut the company some slack, since we in the USA seem to have no idea what "x" is. Is it the Greek latter pronounced "ch," or is it like the Russian guttaral exhalation sound, or a substitute for "z," as in "xerox? (Not the the two pronunciations in that word)
Where are Goofy and/or zmježd? I need help!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The A-Team
B-minus
C-Span
D-Day
E-Commerce
F Troop
GI Joe (two for the price of one)

etc (by which I mean, of course, that I couldn't think of an H example)

It never occurred to me until I read your post that their could be any confusion. It's clearly, to me anyway, ecks-finity. The lack of a hyphen or space is just a typographical choice they have made.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And your mission, should you choose to accept it is to come up with an example for every letter of the alphabet.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then again, sometimes the X is silent, like the X in EXXON…

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Then again, sometimes the X is silent, like the X in EXXON…
Silent? I thought they were both voiced, but in different ways, to describe their management: "Ex-Con."

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post