Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Invention of language?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invention of language? Login/Join

posted
I tried to post this in Linguistics 101 but was denied access, soooo...
https://psyche.co/ideas/our-gr...of-invention-itself?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I find it absolutely fascinating to consider that the impetus for fully-developed language might lie in the invitation to share in another's life experience through imagination. Empathy, in other words.

Yet, I'm skeptical. I think that theory describes the trend all right, but empathy came long before developed speech. Empathy is about sharing universal human experience. Or heck, universal animal experience. Watch PBS "Nature" series: this phenomenon exists among elephants, chimpanzees/ monkeys/ gorillas, meerkats.

I suspect the development of language among humans was more likely a function of the evolution of glottis & related anatomy (teeth). By virtue of lower-situated glottis, we traded health risks of choking & rotten teeth for the advantages of specific, spoken communication. None of the developments described by Dor and Dennett could have happened w/o that [I think... It's just possible that primate gestural/ sign language could have accomplished it].

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But which came first, anatomical "malformation," or discovering a use for it? What evidence is there for anatomically human critters having an actual language ab initio?

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh I agree Geoff, couldn't be one or the other first. My rudimentary understanding of evolution says, some guy w/a mutation - glottis low enough to articulate sounds - would live longer by virtue of being able to get others' attention easier, maybe even lead a hunting group better - procreate more, no?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post