Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Pain in the Arse
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pain in the Arse Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
OK - Doad used a phrase today that made me giggle. Apparently I was getting on his nerves and he said "you're getting on my tits" which, predictably, made me burst out in laughter.

Anyone want to comment? How did this phrase come about? I'm assuming it's from one of your (you Brits) very erudite comedies.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of those phrases that I use quite alot without really thinking about it and I was surprised by CW's reaction. She literally couldn't speak for some time so clearly as a phrase it has its uses!!

I think I first came across it in Scotland where it is used quite frequently (at least in the Glasgow area). I know that Billy Connolly has used it and he is certainly from the Glasgow area but I've no idea how it started.

I would like to point out that it is in no way referring to my own physique and is a phrase that is used by both men and women. I do not have 'man boobs' as I think CW may have originally thought.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's certainly been used in the south of England for at least the past 40 years.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A similar phrase is "you get on my wick".
quote:
get on one's wick/tits vb British

to irritate, annoy or vex. The 'wick' in question, unknown to many speakers, is a now rather archaic shortening of hampton wick, rhyming slang for prick (which is nowadays more usually shortened to hampton). In spite of the implied gender difference, both versions of the expression are used indiscriminately by both men and women.

'It really gets on my tits when someone calls me a career woman.'
(Recorded, female journalist, London, (1986)).
Bloomsbury Dictionary of Contemporary Slang, © Tony Thorne 1997

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Fabulous! Thanks for the quote, Arnie! I had no idea. So a hampton is a prick?

. . . shaking her head in amazement

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
What a rich and varied language English is, especially in the hands of the English! I wonder what else we can teach you CW? Soon you'll be able to insult and abuse fellow Americans without them having a clue what you're going on about.

Posts: 291 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I heard a funny one tonight. I was in the lobby of our hotel (I am at a conference), having a drink with 4 other women. The waitress was being so rude that we had to call the manager. My colleague said, "The problem is, we don't have a penis with us!" Roll Eyes The manager didn't hear that, thankfully!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
That is a good one, Kalleh. I totally understand the feeling.

Doad - my education here on the board has been far-reaching!

~Dalai Lama