Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Easter Login/Join

posted
Easter falls March 22, this year.

I read that Easter can never be earlier than this date, and that it is extremely rare for it to come so early: it last happened in 1818, and it won't happen again until 2285.

How is the date of Easter calculated?

posted Hide Post

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The Date of Easter

Prior to A.D. 325, Easter was variously celebrated on different days of the week, including Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. In that year, the Council of Nicaea was convened by emperor Constantine. It issued the Easter Rule which states that Easter shall be celebrated on the first Sunday that occurs after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox. However, a caveat must be introduced here. The "full moon" in the rule is the ecclesiastical full moon, which is defined as the fourteenth day of a tabular lunation, where day 1 corresponds to the ecclesiastical New Moon. It does not always occur on the same date as the astronomical full moon. The ecclesiastical "vernal equinox" is always on March 21. Therefore, Easter must be celebrated on a Sunday between the dates of March 22 and April 25.

THIS is one of the twenty-three MILLION hits that came up when I entered "easter" into Google.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sheesh! Just to add to the confusion, the calculation depends on whether you're Western or Eastern Orthodox! I bet the Druids didn't make it so complicated! Line up a notch in Stonehenge with the rising sun and it's party time! Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Line up a notch in Stonehenge with the rising sun and it's party time!

I know you're kidding, but Stonehenge predates the druids.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Line up a notch in Stonehenge with the rising sun and it's party time!

Seems a far better idea to me. After all, the dates of religious festivals (all of them) are based on nothing more than rumour, guesswork, myths and half-truths. If Easter were to be celebrated on any day of the year it would have just as much (or as little) connection with the event it celebrates.

Much better, to my mind, to celebrate actual and provable days like midsummer, the equinoxes and the shortest day rather than base one's celebrations on mythical events that have relevance only to the religion that happens to believe in them.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

I know you're kidding, but Stonehenge predates the druids.

As do so many other less famous sites.

To quote a line form a Mel Brooks movie: "Funny, you don't look Druish!"

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Druid is cognate with the Greek word for oak and the English word true.

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jheem:
Druid is cognate with the Greek word for oak and the English word true.

Yes, that's truid.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Now, Asa, don't be ruid.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oh, Jammerkatz, you've runed my silly pun!