Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd Sign Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
My wife and I were entering a local greenhouse when she said, "What does 'nodges' mean?"

I didn't understand the word and asked her to repeat it.

"Nodges," she said in a tone that indicated I was some sort of uncomprehending dolt.

I asked for an example of the word and she pointed to a sign on the fence. its letters were arranged in a rainbow semi-circle: NODOGS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"What does 'nodges' mean?"

Not quite sure what to make of this. Do you mean your wife was led astray by bad spelling? Even without the space, it looks like no dogs to me. But perhaps I've been corrupted by too mundanity.

[Fixed misspelling.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
She was led astray by N O D O G S carved out and arranged in a half-circle with spaces as shown but no further separation between the two words. Looking at it in print, it does seem fairly obvious. Perhaps it's one of those things where you had to be there.

It does seem to tie in with your "Spelling Chaos" thread.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
She was led astray by N O D O G S carved out and arranged in a half-circle with spaces as shown but no further separation between the two words. Looking at it in print, it does seem fairly obvious. Perhaps it's one of those things where you had to be there.

Thanks for that, Proofreader. I've corrected my flagitious mistake. I still don't see what you mean. There are no spaces in the "NODOGS" above, including the one one might expect. Was it the half-circle that irked you? The spaces which weren't in your original transcription? Or the missing space between the o and the d? Inquiring minds doncha know?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I understood it when I saw it but I could see where it could be confusing. Arranging the capital letters in a half-circle, with equal spacing between the letters and no extra space to set off the two words certainly didn't make for an easy read. As I said, perhaps you had to be there.

And the error certainly wasn't flagitious. My apologies for even deigning to call attention to it. I've done worse and my thanks for providing me with a word to work into a limerick.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Nodges," she said in a tone that indicated I was some sort of uncomprehending dolt.
Hmmm, I definitely know that tone. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post