Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Now is the winter of our discontent...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now is the winter of our discontent... Login/Join

posted
Not Richard III or Donald T. Rump. Just winter. We awoke to minus 17° F (-27.2C ) this morning. How cold was it where you live?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's synchronicity , Geoff! I just pm'd you and told you the temp here this morning. It was 6 degrees. I can't seem to get or stay warm, especially my feet!!! I am wearing a top and a hooded sweatshirt while indoors.

<Proofreader>
posted
Bunch of wimps. People in Alaska think that's summer.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeahbut... Whatta YOU have? (Not infections, temperature) And why do we refer to the centigrade scale as the Celsius scale? Didn't Anders Celsius call it "centigrade?" Did Lord Kelvin call his scale the Kelvin scale, or did he boastfully claim it to the the absolute scale?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Our problem here in't cold it's Air Quality. Yesterday's AQI for Xianyang was 245 which is defined as Very Unhealthy. There is only one grade that is worse. The safe level is 50.

Right now it is mid-morning and already 213 and rising.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And I can't easily wear a dust mask as it fogs my glasses to the point where I can't see a thing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
And I can't easily wear a dust mask as it fogs my glasses to the point where I can't see a thing.
I have a similar problem with dust masks. I once found a rubber molded mask that fit well, but the nefarious 3M company bought the company that made the mask and ceased production of all its products. I no longer buy anything made by 3M, such as Scotch tape or their sandpaper.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Bunch of wimps. People in Alaska think that's summer.

Yes, I am definitely a wimp when it comes to cold. I have circulatory problems, and I can feel chilled at 70 degrees in the summer, if the sun isn't shining and there's a breeze.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Our problem here in't cold it's Air Quality. Yesterday's AQI for Xianyang was 245 which is defined as Very Unhealthy. There is only one grade that is worse. The safe level is 50.

Right now it is mid-morning and already 213 and rising.

NPR had a segment on this within the last week. They mentioned that they are starting to crack down some on manufacturing companies. Have you seen any of this in your city?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Had dinner last night with a couple of friends who are about to leave China. One of them on his phone had a screen grab taken when they were at one of their previous schools. The AQI was over 600! 300 is considered hazardous.

posted Hide Post
It's minus 3 here this morning. I am definitely staying inside. By the end of this week, it is suppose to get up to 50. Am I excited?!

posted Hide Post
quote:
The AQI was over 600! 300 is considered hazardous.
A major ramification of shipping manufacturing to China. Whilst the government attempts to improve air quality, Western countries already have such improvements in place. Sure, we pay more for domestically produced goods, but consider the real price!
Also, it allows nefarious domestic companies to exploit lower-wage workers. Ex: Bhopal, India, and Dow Chemical Company.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, I missed this thread. We've had the coldest streak in 80 years. Finally it has normalized today. I am with Sattva - once my feet get cold, it is hard to warm up.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post