Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Does language show your age?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does language show your age? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Hrmmph! Most here know that I do not age gracefully. In fact, I don't really age. Wink

Today I met my daughter for coffee, and I was telling her about a situation comedy. She said, "WHAT???" "Situation comedy?" "Are you 90 or something??? It's 'sitcom!'" Okay...I know it's sitcom, but does that terminology strike you as being that old? Other examples?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I spoke a while ago about the "Hit Parade" - the name for the records that are the most popular. My audience was nonplussed until I explaine what I meant. "Oh, you mean "The Charts", they said.

By the way, what's the singular of audience that I could have used in the above sentence had there just been one person listening to me?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Listener? Auditor? Hearer?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
If you do not say, "he/she's like...," you are over fifty.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitions for "audience" use plurals such as
"spectators," "listeners," or "readership," implying that more than one person is required for consideration as an "audience." Yet we've all heard the phrase "an audience of one." We've heard one person (as well as several people) described as "a captive audience." And though the usage is, admittedly, somewhat different, one person may be granted "an audience with the king." Using the word "audience" in describing one person doesn't bother me at all, but as for whether or not it's proper, I'm not sure. Your question is an entertaining one to ponder, Richard.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I spoke a while ago about the "Hit Parade" - the name for the records that are the most popular. My audience was nonplussed until I explaine what I meant. "Oh, you mean "The Charts", they said.

This old guy was all like, that song was on the Hit Parade and I was like, the what? and he was all, you know, the most popular songs and I was like dude, you mean the charts?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
YOUR HIT PARADE

Before disc jockeys and Top-40 charts became commonplace, there was Your Hit Parade, a radio institution that billed itself as “an accurate, authentic tabulation of America's taste in popular music.”

Every Saturday night, Your Hit Parade presented the top tunes of the week, saving the top three songs for the end of the show. As a nod to longtime sponsor Lucky Strike Cigarettes, Your Hit Parade occasionally featured an old favorite as a “Lucky Strike Extra.”

Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborne, the show’s advertising agency, remained secretive about the methods used to determine the top songs. It was acknowledged that Your Hit Parade’s statisticians examined sheet music sales and jukebox tabulations before reaching their conclusions.

Your Hit Parade debuted on April 20, 1935 and moved between NBC and CBS until January 16, 1953. A television version of Your Hit Parade was simulcast over NBC Radio from 1950 to 1959.

More than 50 singers appeared on the radio version of Your Hit Parade, including Frank Sinatra (1943-45; 1947-49), Joan Edwards (1941-46), Dick Haymes, “Wee” Bonnie Baker, Johnny Mercer, Dinah Shore, Buddy Clark, Bea Wain, Andy Russell, Gisele MacKenzie and Metropolitan Opera star Lawrence Tibbett.

Your Hit Parade was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1995.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post