Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    you can try and hide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

you can try and hide Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
Mr Quinion discusses try to V and try and V in his latest newsletter.
quote:
The problem for the critics is that try and is an ancient form, recorded from the thirteenth century. The early evidence is sparse, but there’s even some suggestion that try and may be older than try to. This refutes all the writers who believe it has only recently become widespread. The written evidence over the past two centuries, however, does show that most earlier usage was in informal situations such as speech or letters, not formal writing. Since so much current writing is deliberately informal in style, its usage appears to have widened.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Try and hide seems to me to suggest something different from Try to hide; the former suggesting success, whereas the latter does not specify success.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
the latter suggesting success, whereas the latter does not specify success.

ha! try and have it both ways, will you?!

posted Hide Post
'If you can SEE whether I'm singing or not, you've sharper eyes than most.' Humpty Dumpty remarked severely. Alice was silent.

'In spring, when woods are getting green,
I'll try and tell you what I mean.'

'Thank you very much,' said Alice.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tsuwm:
quote:
the forer suggesting success, whereas the latter does not specify success.

ha! try and have it both ways, will you?!

I've corrected my "flatus mentalis!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting article, z. Try and and try to would mean the same to me. As I said on the chat today, before reading Quinion I'd have thought try and was the slang use. However, it sounds like it actually preceded try to.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post