Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Oh yes there is.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh yes there is. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Here's a post which mentions Schadenfreude as having no easy English equivalent (note my avoidance of the word "translation".)
I have already commented.

It also mentions another old favourite of ours, "Ohrwurm".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A good post. I've left some comments for the author.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Recently at a meeting I had to opportunity to tell the people about "Ohrwurm." The woman was talking about how she couldn't get a song out of her mind. I just love that word.

I think it is interesting how the author of the blog says felt he had to explain "Schadenfreude" with examples.

I always like reviewing those German words as their meanings are so rich. One word, though, I am quite sick of..."uber." It's just used too much, for everything.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
WHy does my link now go to a completely different and apparently unconnected page?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The link in your opening post of the thread still goes to the same site / blog entry for me. The weird thing is the two comments I left (awaiting moderation) are gone. I guess they did not want to hear what I had to say ... Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I first looked at the blog post yesterday, from work. I noticed that the comments mentioned by Bob and zm didn't appear, so looked again from home. Like Bob, I found I was redirected to the site's home page. Even clicking on the link to their German blog from their simply reloaded the page. Now, from work again, I can see the blog, still without the comments.

I can't see why it would make a difference, but I'm using IE6 from work and Firefox from home. Weird.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post