Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    From the "they ought to know better" department
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From the "they ought to know better" department Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
A student today asked me to help him complete a form given to him at the Job Centre.

It included the question (I may be paraphrasing slightly, my memory isn't what it once was)

"Before joining the course where you on Youth Training?"

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow. I bet they want literate applicants, too!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Last night David Letterman (a national TV talk show host and comedian, for UKers) read supposedly-true newspaper clippsings. One was an ad for "Insurance adjuster. Some semblance of intellignece required."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Damn. Now I know why I'm not still in that business.

Asa the long ago insurance claims adjuster

<Proofreader>
posted
Co-worker said he once worked as a funeral director. The nice thing about the job was after three days you could bury your mistakes.

posted Hide Post
I worked as a garbage man one summer in college. Business was really picking up.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I worked one summer when I was barely of working age in a local camera store. Besides camera equipment, they also sold picture frames of all sizes and shapes. The boss told me to arrange a large assortment of frames on a shelf domino-fashion. Mistake.

After I placed the last one in front of the others, I turned away and my elbow hit the first frame. It fell on the second, that on the third, and so on. I am happy to report that the first frame's glass did not break. Sorry I can't say that about all the others.

<Proofreader>
posted
A TV ad has been around for some time offering good deals on foreclosed homes and repossessed cars. The announcer says, "An inventory of homes and cars are available by calling...."

I don't think that's grammatical here in the US but will it fly in the UK? Here it would (should) be "inventory ...is available."

Or am I wrong on all counts?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
"An inventory of homes and cars are available by calling...."

No that wouldn't work over here. It would work if they said "An inventory of homes and cars that are available (can be obtained) by calling...."

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
I worked as a garbage man one summer in college. Business was really picking up.

If you had singed up for a course in urban anthropology you could have gotten college credit for it.