Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    A Microsoft Word question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Microsoft Word question Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I was trying to write a limerick for OEDILF and I hit a snag.

I want to type the words he is abbreviated to

{apostrophe} e {apostrophe} s

but Word insists on changing my two apostrophes to a pair of opening and closing quotes and nothing I've been able to do seems to stop it. Does anyone know if there's a way to force it to do what I want here?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
It doesn't happen for me, but try either of these:
  1. Immediately after Word "converts" your text, perform an 'undo', either by the button or by CNTR-Z. That should undo the conversion and revert to what you typed.
  2. Or before you type, click on Tools > Autocorrect, and uncheck the box titled "Replace text as you type".
Do either of these work?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Word can just be so infuriating, can't it? Mad

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you type an apostrophe before a word, WORD interprets that as a quote and prints an opening quote mark. Then the next one is a closing mark. So what I do is type two apostrophes and then go back and erase the first one. It's cumbersome, but it works for me. Like this: ‘’e’s ’e’s

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Click on tools, click on autocorrect, select the tab "autoformat" and deselect the option replace "straight quotes" with "smart quotes". Close the dropdown and that should do the trick.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
You don't need to use Word at all. You are just going to copy and paste it into the text box on OEDILF, and you don't want any formatting. It is simpler to use NotePad instead.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you two are OK.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Cat!

We didn't get much work done today.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
A good collection of suggestions. Here are the results.

quote:
Immediately after Word "converts" your text, perform an 'undo', either by the button or by CNTR-Z. That should undo the conversion and revert to what you typed.

does work but produces straight quotes rather than an actual apostophe.

quote:
Or before you type, click on Tools > Autocorrect, and uncheck the box titled "Replace text as you type".

has no effect

quote:
When you type an apostrophe before a word, WORD interprets that as a quote and prints an opening quote mark. Then the next one is a closing mark. So what I do is type two apostrophes and then go back and erase the first one. It's cumbersome, but it works for me. Like this: ‘’e’s ’e’s

as you say, cumbersome but does work.

quote:
Click on tools, click on autocorrect, select the tab "autoformat" and deselect the option replace "straight quotes" with "smart quotes". Close the dropdown and that should do the trick.

smart quotes is the option that gets it wrong, straight quotes works to the extent that it produces straight quotes but not an apostrophe

quote:
You don't need to use Word at all. You are just going to copy and paste it into the text box on OEDILF, and you don't want any formatting. It is simpler to use NotePad instead.

true

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Cat.

I wasn't in London today although by brother-in-law was at Kings Cross. However, he's OK and managed to get back home by getting to London Bridge whence the trains were still running.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post