Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Linguistics required for citizenship
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linguistics required for citizenship Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Language Log wrote that the Daily Telegraph (I couldn't access the article) has reported that applicants for British citizenship now require the knowledge of different dialects of if British English. The new test emphasizes topics considered of practical importance for living in Britain. Home Minister Tony McNulty is quoted as saying:

This is not a test of someone's ability to be British or a test of their Britishness.. It is a test of their preparedness to become citizens, in keeping with the language requirement as well. It is about looking forward, rather than an assessment of their ability to understand history.

What do our British posters know of this? Is the history aspect going to be a lot less? That just doesn't seem right; knowing the history of a country is essential if you are going to understand the culture and people, at least in my opinion.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The BBC has an article at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4391710.stm

The 'linguistics requirement' is just one of the 24 general questions: Where are the Geordie, Cockney, and Scouse dialects spoken?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, Arnie, where are they spoken?

There was a link to the BBC version of the test, but I was afraid to take it. I think I'd better brush up first!

Richard will be happy to know that there is a pub question on the test, though it didn't ask about real ale. Here it is:

Back to that pub. The police turn up with the ambulance and an officer asks you to attend an interview at the station. What are your rights?

A: You don't have to go if you are not arrested, but if you do go voluntarily you are free to leave at any time

B: You must go. Failure to attend an interview is an arrestable offence

C: You must go if you are a foreign national

I would find that a difficult question. Wouldn't A be correct for a UK citizen, but C for a foreign national?

Here's another:

What's the minimum time you must have been married before you can divorce?

A: Six months

B: One year

C: Two years

This one is interesting as well. Is there a minumum time you must be married before getting a divorce? What if the husband is abusive?

You see how I can read into questions? Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
They are spoken in Newcastle, London, and Liverpool, respectively.

Concerning the interview question, I'd say A. I can't see that it makes much difference that you are a foreign national. I may be wrong, though.

As to the divorce question, in England and Wales the minimum period is one year. In Scotland, however, there is no minimum. However, you can only divorce in Scotland where either spouse is domiciled in Scotland or habitually resident in Scotland for a year before the divorce. You can't just pop over the border for a divorce!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's important to realise that English, Scottish and Northern Irish Law differ (as do the Laws in Crown dependencies such as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).

Wales uses English Law.

And Arnie is correct. You are not obliged to attend a police interview unless you have been arrested. But you'd be well advised to cooperate if asked, arrested or not. The police, like most of us, don't like awkward smart-arses.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting use of the word "awkward," Richard. I usually use it to mean "clumsy."

Likewise, in the directions for the test it says, " If you want the passport, then you'll have to read Life in the UK, a special book, and sit a 45-minute test on society, history and culture." "...sit a 45-minute test"??? We'd say "sit for a 45-minute test."

So...if you marry someone who is physically and/or emotionally abusive, you still have to stay married for a year before divorcing him/her? Wow! That is harsh!

posted Hide Post
quote:
sit a 45-minute test

It is possible to use sit as a transitive verb in this sort of sense, and "sitting a test" or "sitting an examination" is quite common.

It means much the same as "taking a test".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting use of the word "awkward," Richard. I usually use it to mean "clumsy."

It means "clumsy" here too - but it also means difficult or deliberately uncooperative (which is the sense in which I used it).

Richard English