Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Twelve Days of Christmas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Twelve Days of Christmas Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Installments from the family records:

25 December 18__

My dearest darling Edward,

What a wonderful surprise has just greeted me! That sweet partridge, in that lovely little pear-tree; what an enchanting, romantic, poetic present! Bless you, and thank you.

Your deeply loving
Emily

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
26 December, 18__

Dearest Emily,

I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying the partridge. Feel free to fricasee, if you wish, as they are quite tasty with a little garlic and butter. You won't have pears to make a sauce for some time, of course, as it's a dwarf tree it may never bear enough fruit to cover a good-sized partridge.

My one wish is that this gift, as yesterday's, will bear more fruit than the tree ever could, and that the roots of my love will provide a deep foundation for our future. These turtle doves, mated for life, are but a symbol of my desire to nest with you, my love, for eternity.

Yours,
Edward

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
What a joyful surprise! I had not known that Edward's replies to Emily had been preserved lo this century. My solo records have become a duet. To continue:

26 December 18__

Beloved Edward,

The two turtle-doves arrived this morning, and are cooing away in the pear-tree as I write -- even as you and I. I think so happily of us while watching them in their sweet devotion. You adorable man! I'm so touched and grateful!

With undying love, as always,
Emily

PS: Garlic and butter? What a droll wit you have, dear one!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
27 December, 18__

Dearest Emily,

Since you've enjoyed the other birds so very much, I'm sending you these fine french hens, three in number. Their feathers are so soft they remind me of your beautiful tresses. I sincerely hope their gentle chirps will enhance the cooing you already enjoy from the doves.

Sincerely Yours,
Edward

You're right, Shu! This is fun!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It is fun for the rest of us, too! Thanks for sharing. For some of you who are newer to wordcraft, Shu and Morgan did this the first year we were here. Thanks, CW, for being such a good sport!

We patiently await...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
27 December 18__

My darling Edward,

You do think of the most original presents! Who ever thought of sending anybody three French hens? Do they really come all the way from France? We are a bit avianly overwhelmed at present -- they are running about underfoot as I write -- and it's a pity we have no chicken coops, but I expect we'll find some. Anyway, thank you so much; they're lovely.

Your devoted Emily

Aside: Vien ici, ma petite gentille alouette. Je te plumerai. Wink

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Dearest Emily,
I know you've said you have plenty of birds, but I just can't resist sending along these beautiful calling birds. Their sweet songs remind me of the dulcet tones of your voice, so musical to my ear. These small, sweet-singing tokens of my affection may bring to mind the words we shared when last we were together.

How clever of you to give me a brief line in French! Have you really plucked them clean? Well, rest assured you have plucked the strings of my heart.

Your's sincerely,
Edward

~Dalai Lama

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
28 December 18__

Dearest Edward,

What a surprise! Four calling birds arrived this morning. They are very sweet, even if they do call rather loudly - they make telephoning almost impossible - but I expect they'll calm down when they get used to their new home. But speaking of calling, why have you not come calling? Vien ici, cher Edward; je te plumerai.

Unfortunately, it seems that all four calling birds are male and are very attentive to the french hens, who do not share their affections. Feathers are flying. (Were you – I blush – leading me to contemplate a naughty use of feathers? Down, boy!)

Anyway, have a surfeit of birds here now. But nonetheless I'm so very grateful, of course I am.

Love from Emily

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
29 December 18__

My most darling Emily,

You surprise me with your candid and suggestive note of thanks! I am inspired to send you these golden rings in the hopes that you might wear them to demonstrate a love requited. I long to feather our nest, even if you are plucking my own plumage.

I know you've enjoyed the birds, but trust these rings will amuse you enough to tide you over until tomorrow.

My heart is yours,
Edward

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You guys are great! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post