Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Test The Nation:English
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Test The Nation:English Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Any of the UK members watch Test The Nation, last night?
I didn't watch but I took the test on-line and scored 67/70, one off the top mark nationally. Of the three I missed two were purely memory questions - listening to a clip then answering questions about it and one was "Which of the following has a collective noun 'mischief'? a)Mice, b)Monkeys or c) Mules". I didn't know and guessed wrong. (It's mice apparently.)

One of the questions that was asked was our old favourite concerning the correct punctuation of St. James' Palace/St. Jameses' Palace/ St. James's Palace".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wow! I only got 62/70, Bob. I got both of the collective noun questions, plus a few comprehension questions wrong. I watched the programme, but only intermittently.

It was interesting that they were so dogmatic about St James's being the only correct version. The APS board also has a thread about it here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And here on Wordcraft.

The test isn't online, is it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The test is online at http://www.bbc.co.uk/testthenation/

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post