Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    On the fritz...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the fritz... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I wrote Asa an email, saying that my computer was "on the fritz," and we both wondered where that phrase "on the fritz" had come from. I found this thread about it, but most of the reference to the phrase was Jerry's link to the Maven's Word of the Day site. That site says that it was first recorded in 1902, with an "unknown origin." Any ideas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Online Etymology Dictionary suggests it may be of theatrical origin.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[...perhaps fr the notion that defective eyes or lights blink]--H-C Dict of Am. Slang

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Too bad the etymology dictionary didn't say what that theatrical reference was. Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd guess they don't know, either. Probably they observed it first appearing being used by theatrical persons, but can't find the point of origin. That would be why they use the word "may". Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know lots of people like that etymology site, but sometimes I wonder. Often the citations come straight, almost word for word, from the OED. Other times, like this one, I question the veracity. They could have at least explained the "may."

posted Hide Post
I think it's an onomatopoetic word that describes the sound of electrical sparking and arcing. The 1902 origin would put it at the start of electrification, and the theatre (with its need for bright lighting) would have been an early electrical customer.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting concept, neveu. You are right that it is onomatopoetic.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The first theatre to have electric light was The Savoy Theatre, in London. The Institute of Electrical Engineers has its headquarters at the bottom of Savoy Hill - also the first home of the BBC.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree, neveu. Your theory makes a lot of sense. The arc lamps used in the theatres would definitely have tended to fizz and splutter and malfunction on occasion.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'm nor sure that The Savoy use arc lights - I believe it was the first public building to use incandescent lights (although Cragside was the first building of any kind).

Of course, for many years theatres had used limelights, where lime was heated by gas to incandescence - I would think that process was pretty noisy.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
That's right, Richard. Arc lamps began to replace limelight in the 1870s; they were themselves replaced by filament lamps around the turn of the century, apart from some applications such as cinema projection.