Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hero Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Recently there has been a discussion in our newspapers about the word "hero." Many people are irritated that Pfc. Jessica Lynch (severely injured in the Iraq War) is considered a "hero", even though her injuries were from an automobile accident rather than in war.

When I look up the word "hero", I am not so sure. The first meaning in AHD talks about it being someone from mythology or legend who is endowed with great courage and is favored by the Gods. The second is more down to earth with "A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life."

Do you use hero sparingly or lavishly?

By the way, there was a usage note in AHD, saying that "hero" is now considered "gender neutral" and that "heroine" is used in referring to the principal female character of a fictional work. I thought "heroine" was still used to mean a female hero, though it hasn't been used with Jessica. Do you still use "heroine"?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I've never used heroin. Wink

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accoring to Etymology on-line,
  • hero comes from the Greek for "demi-god", and ultimately traces back to a Proto-Indoeuropean root meaning "to watch over, protect"
  • heroin was coined in 1898 as trademark for Bayer & Co.'s morphine substitute, named for the euphoric feeling the drug provides.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Do you use hero sparingly or lavishly?

In a recent newspaper article, I read about a man who broke into a burning house to alert the residents, thereby saving six people from the inferno. When called a "hero", he modestly demurred, saying the real hero was his girl-friend, who had awakened to go to the bathroom and noticed the fire in the neighbor's house. Was labelling her a "hero" too lavish an honor? Of course. And that's the problem with the word.

On numerous occasions, I have read accounts of sporting events where a highly-paid athlete is designated the "hero of the game" because he scored the winning touchdown or hit the walk-off home run.

I think these usages denigrate and trivialize the real heroes -- our soldiers, firemen and policemen, and especially the ordinary citizen, like the first man mentioned here -- who unselfishly risk their lives (and often lose their lives) for everyone else's benefit.

We should do what they did for the Olympics. There should be a word reserved entirely for these courageous souls that would celebrate their bravery and, like the word "Olympics", could not be used by anyone else without special permission.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Literally, for ages and ages I have wondered about the meaning of "hyperbole."

And I have been told ten million times not to exaggerate.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Your hyperbolic exaggeration is blown way out of proportion, Jerry. Wink

I find that both hero and tragic/tragedy are abused severely. Most "tragic" events are merely pathetic. Most "heroic" actions are merely well-executed actions within the framework of what was expected of the person.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
the meaning of "hyperbole."

We’re nearing the top of the heap,
A position we’re planning to keep.
Our number, you’ll find,
Is TWO-FORTY-NINE!
Our rivals can read that and weep.