Wordcraft Community Home Page
Mufti

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/9881014542

September 15, 2005, 19:57
Kalleh
Mufti
The word "mufti" generally means "civilian dress by a person who is entitled to wear a military uniform." Does anyone know if it can be applied to any kind of uniform? That is, could a nurse go in mufti to her nursing position in a hospital? Or is it only used with military uniforms?
September 15, 2005, 22:35
arnie
I can't see why not. I seem to remember seeing it used for a group of airline pilots once, so wht not nurses? It should be easily understood.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 16, 2005, 01:29
BobHale
I've heard it used in a jocular sense by people who don't even wear a uniform as such, for example when you see someone who would normally wear a suit to work in jeans and a T-shirt.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
September 17, 2005, 04:04
Richard English
Now here's a thought: would you need to wear mufti if you were taking a shufti at something you weren't supposed to?

Richard English
September 18, 2005, 17:38
wordnerd
Mufti can also mean "an expert in islamic law".

Eliminating that sense, I checked the recent news for mufti meaning "in regular clothes, as opposed to a uniform." It is often used for plainclothes police, which I suppose that's rather similar to military.

But I also found the word used to refer to the clothing of an aristocrat, an actress, a catholic schoolgirl and a priest, when the clothing is other than their usual, identifying style.
September 18, 2005, 17:44
Kalleh
What confuses me is that some of the dictionaries specifically limit the word to "military or police," while others say that it is "civilian dress when wearing a uniform." Which is it? Here are what some of the dictionaries say:

AskOxford: "civilian clothes when worn by military or police staff."
MW: "ordinary dress as distinguished from that denoting an occupation or station <a priest in mufti>; especially : civilian clothes when worn by a person in the armed forces"
AHD: "Civilian dress, especially when worn by one who normally wears a uniform."
Cambridge International: "ordinary clothes worn by people who usually wear uniforms, especially soldiers"
OED: "Plain or civilian clothes worn (in military contexts, by permission only) by a person who normally wears a uniform."
September 19, 2005, 11:32
arnie
Only the AskOxford definition specifically limits the wearing of mufti to military or police staff. Three others use 'especially' - meaning that other uses can exist; the other one only refers to 'military contexts' in parentheses.

Anyway, I think enough replies have made the point that it has been used referring to people other than members of the armed forces or police. Is your literalism showing again, Kalleh? Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 19, 2005, 15:59
Robert Arvanitis
What about the Grand Mufti? (!)

RJA
September 19, 2005, 18:53
Kalleh
quote:
Is your literalism showing again, Kalleh?

I don't think so, arnie. It's just that I had never heard it used, except in the military sense. Yet, people, and apparently some dictionaries, say that it can be.

I will use it that way, then.