Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    fun with TXT
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fun with TXT Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
SMS texting in the mouths of zombies (in France, no less). Paul Notzold lets folks use "[their] mobile phone to engage with [their] public space." (Sounds like more fun than whining about the inevitability of the decay of language brought on by teens texting, foreigners refusing to learn English properly, and greengrocers abusing that poor little apostrophe.)

[Via a Wired article.]

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I read your link, but it's hard to envision it. It's quite an intriguing form of art...especially from the country with the likes of Renoir and Monet!

I also thought it interesting, from that article, that people actually teach about cell phones. I had fun thinking about how that course would unfold. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's quite an intriguing form of art

NB. he doesn't call it art, so as not to upset Richard. It's a performance.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, believe me, I treaded very lightly in that post, but I guess just not light enough.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have never suggested that any FORM of art isn't art; I have, however, frequently suggested that certain examples of supposed art forms are not.

A period of nothing but silence is not music; an unmade bed is not a sculpture; a collection of words with no meaning, rhyme or reason is not a poem.

I see no reason at all why some forms of text messages can't be art - but I'd need to see them to make up my mind.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
but I'd need to see them to make up my mind

Not that an unmade mind is art criticism ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
ot that an unmade mind is art criticism ...

No more than an unmade bed is art.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
No more than an unmade bed is art.

Which it is.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose I could bring up the need for the world to use epicaricacy here. Wink We do like to have ongoing discussions, don't we?

I'll be honest; I am having trouble wrapping my mind around this TXTual Healing. I think I'd have to experience it.

posted Hide Post
I think it's awesome. It reminds me of this cool light graffiti. warning: some profanity.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Which it is.

You have every right to that belief; I have never suggested that beliefs need to be correct; many are 100% wrong.

My belief that an unmade bed is not art, that it is complete tosh, is just as valid as your belief that it is a work of art.

It would be interesting to undertake research to find out just how many people held each belief.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to undertake research to find out just how many people held each belief.

We've been over this ground before. Many people not only believe that Bud is a beer, but that it is a good one. Their beliefs have little to do with that beverage's beerhood or quality. And, for the record, I don't think it's beer because it's made with rice, and I don't think it's a tasty drink.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Many people not only believe that Bud is a beer, but that it is a good one.

That is an assumption, not anything based on customer research. There are many reasons why a product is popular and the quality of the product is only one of them.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There are many reasons why a product is popular and the quality of the product is only one of them.

I am talking not about the quality of Bud, but its perceived quality.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am talking not about the quality of Bud, but its perceived quality.

But whose perception? And how do you know what the majority of the world's perception is? And what do you mean by "quality"?

To determine what the majority opinion is on any topic you need to undertake proper research and not simply rely on anecdotal evidence and hearsay. Hearsay is not admissible as evidence in most (all?) courts of Law - and with good reason.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
But whose perception?

The "many people" mentioned by me above, who "not only believe that Bud is a beer, but that it is a good one."

And how do you know what the majority of the world's perception is?

The same "way" you "know" that you are "right".

And what do you mean by "quality"?

YCLIU, in a dictionary, but I'll give you a hint: "3a. Superiority of kind: an intellect of unquestioned quality. b. Degree or grade of excellence: yard goods of low quality.".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The "many people" mentioned by me above, who "not only believe that Bud is a beer, but that it is a good one
It is your guess about these numbers of people. I have seen no published figures. It is my guess that the majority of the world don't think Budweiser is a quality beer. We are both entitled to our opinions but we shouldn't run away with the idea that they are more than opinions.
quote:
The same "way" you "know" that you are "right".
I don't quite know what you are referring to here, but if it is one of the occasions where I have stated a belief, for example, that an unmade bed is not art, that is my belief. Thus your opinions about the majority of the world's population is your belief and as likely to be right (or wrong) as is mine.
quote:
Superiority of kind: an intellect of unquestioned quality. b. Degree or grade of excellence: yard goods of low quality.".
By many standards, including these, Budweiser is of high quality. It is consistent; it is hygienic; it is made from pure ingredients. By other standards it is not of high quality. The ingredients, although pure, are not those of which most brewers approve; its brewing process is too rapid to allow proper development of flavours.

To get at the facts you need to agree on definitions, devise a proper questionnaire, get a population sample that is both large enough and sufficiently random and then do the research.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It is your guess about these numbers of people. I have seen no published figures.

It is an inference I made based on the popularity of Bud. I'm sure if you wanted to, you could find published figures.

I don't quite know what you are referring to here, but if it is one of the occasions where I have stated a belief, for example, that an unmade bed is not art, that is my belief. Thus your opinions about the majority of the world's population is your belief and as likely to be right (or wrong) as is mine.

I'll accept that either you or I could be wrong in our opinions.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.