Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Vocabulary Forum    Theme – Stupidity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theme – Stupidity Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
Sometimes it seems that stupidity and foolishness pervade everything. Perhaps that's why we have so many words for it. To take a hundred-odd:

airhead; asinine; ass; bilge; birdbrain; birdbrain; blockhead; blunder; blunderbuss; bonehead; boob; booby; brainless; brute; butthead; chowderhead; chucklehead; chump; clod; cluck; clunk; daft; dimwit; dingbat; dingleberry; dingus; dip; dodo; dolt; donkey; doofus; dope; dork; drivel; dull; dumb; dumbbell; dumbo; dum-dum; dummkopf; dummy; dunce; dupe; fathead; fatuity; featherbrain; flibbertigibbet; fool; frivolous; fuzzyheaded; gaga; goof; goofball; goon; half-wit; headless; howler; idiot; imbecile; imbecile; jackass; klutz; knucklehead; lamebrain; light-minded; lout; lummox; lumpish; lunkhead; meatball; meathead; moron; mutt; muttonhead; nimrod; nincompoop; nitwit; noodle; numskull; oaf; obstinate; palooka; pinhead; prune; ridiculous; schlep; schlub; schmo; schmuck; schnook; senseless; sheepish; silly; simple-minded; sodden; stupid; thick; thickhead; thick-witted; tomfool; vacuous; woodenhead; yap; yo-yo.

This week we'll enjoy a few more sophisticated words in the same vein.

unasinous – being equally stupid.
    Here were representatives of three different, unasinous points of view, each deeply opposed to the others, and yet all attacking her!"
    – David Brin, Earth

So go your ways, you Uncivil Ecclesiastics, Inhuman Divines, Dedoctors of morality, Unasinous Colleagues, Egregarious air of Issachars, most wretched Vindices and Indices Academiatrum.
    – Thomas Hobbes, in his decades-long debate with scientist John Wallis. (Hobbes may have had the better of the words, but Wallis had the science.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
flibbertigibbet

I have decided to do a Wordcraftjr Theme on some of these great words that mean 'stupid.' However, I have a question. Some sources say that flibbertigibbet means "A silly, scatterbrained, or garrulous person," while others say it means "a female fool."

Is "flibbertigibbet" more associated with women?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
So far as I'm concerned, it definitely refers only to women. 1549 was most certainly a sexist time.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=flibbertigibbet+&searchmode=term

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Arnie. That is going to be my word today, then.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post