Wordcraft Community Home Page
Double Entendre: Doublet Meaning

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/920108423

September 28, 2009, 17:59
wordcrafter
Double Entendre: Doublet Meaning
A new theme starts today. I dare not title it Double Entendres because, given last week's theme, you'd expect sniggers, sly winks and leers. Far be it from me to stoop to such low comedy.

Rather, the doubling in our theme different. At first glance each word presented this week is just a short-and-simple one. that any child would know. But each also has a very different meaning, not widely known.

poke1. a sack; a bag [as in the proverbial phrase "a pig in a poke"] 2. pokeweed (the young leaves can be used as salad greens)
September 28, 2009, 18:45
<Proofreader>
Double?
It's also to push or jab; prod
To make a hole in (a bag)
Stir up a fire
To thrust out (as from awindow)
To intrude or meddle
To pry of search
To protrude
To move slowly (with along
A bonnet's front brim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,
September 29, 2009, 18:55
wordcrafter
bark – to rub off or abrade the skin of
September 30, 2009, 20:17
wordcrafter
burdenin music: the chorus or refrain of a composition (also, a drone, as of a bagpipe). originally bourdon
. . .figuratively, from the above: a main and recurring theme or idea

First sense:Second sense:
September 30, 2009, 20:30
Robert Arvanitis
Burden stirs a recollection:

"Honor" and "onus" share a common etymology, from the Latin for burden.

So "honor" is not about the display or reward, but rather about the weight of duty.

RJA
October 01, 2009, 04:49
zmježd

Latin honor (earlier honos), honois, 'honor, dignity' (link) and onus, oneris,
burden, load' (link) are etymologically and semantically unrelated. Sometimes the later was spelled incorrectly with an h; it is from the PIE root *enos 'weight'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 01, 2009, 05:41
goofy
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Arvanitis:
Burden stirs a recollection:

So "honor" is not about the display or reward, but rather about the weight of duty.

Even if this was true, it's still the etymological fallacy.
October 02, 2009, 10:38
wordcrafter
Today's word, like our last one, has to do with singing.troll – to sing heartily in a full, rolling voice, merrily or jovially (also, to sing the parts of (a round, etc.) successively)

This is the standard version of the lyric, but another version has a more alcoholic text for "Don we now" line: Fill the mead-cup, drain the barrel. And in the lesser-known further verses, it has two more alcohol references that the "standard" version lacks. (See the flowing bowl before us instead of "See the blazing Yule", and Laughing, quaffing, all together instead of "Sing we joyous, all together".) I suspect the alcoholic version is older, and that the standard version is a bowdlerization written by prohibitionist prudes.
October 02, 2009, 11:06
<Proofreader>
quote:
our gay apparel

Would that be festive clothing or that of an "alternative lifestyle"?
October 02, 2009, 11:37
zmježd
Yule tide carol

Tide in the sense of time. Cf. German Zeit 'time'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 03, 2009, 19:30
wordcrafter
apostropherhetoric: a figure of speech, by which a speaker suddenly stops in his discourse, and turns to address pointedly some person or thing, either present or absentQuite often, when I am doing a theme, I coincidentally stumble across a theme-fitting word in my everyday reading. I hadn't known that "apostrophe" has had a meaning other than the familiar one, until I found it used in a Wall Street Journal editorial a few days ago.

I don't quote that editorial, though, because as it turns out, the Journal misused the word, misunderstanding its non-familiar meaning.
October 04, 2009, 16:45
wordcrafter
pulse – the edible seeds of pod-bearing plants cultivated for food (peas, beans, lentils, etc.); also, the plants producing those seedpods
October 04, 2009, 17:20
haberdasher
quote:
Originally posted by wordcrafter:
apostropherhetoric: a figure of speech, by which a speaker suddenly stops in his discourse, and turns to address pointedly some person or thing, either present or absent

...as in The MIkado, Act I, viz.,

KOKO. (looking after Yum-Yum). "There she goes! To think how entirely my future happiness is wrapped up in that little parcel! Really, it hardly seems worth while! Oh, matrimony!" -- (Enter Pooh-Bah and Pish-Tush.) "Now then, what is it? Can't you see I'm soliloquizing? You have interrupted an apostrophe, sir!"...
October 05, 2009, 19:14
wordcrafter
<blushing> Thank you, hab. How could I have forgotten?

rote – the sound of surf breaking on the shore
[prob. akin to Old Norse rauta to roar]
October 07, 2009, 14:18
Robert Arvanitis
The Online Etymology Dictionary has no clue about rote in the sense of learning:

"rote
c.1300, in phrase bi rote "by heart," of uncertain origin, sometimes said to be connected with O.Fr. rote "route" (see route), or from L. rota "wheel" (see rotary), but O.E.D. calls both suggestions groundless."

Could the Old Norse in fact be the source?

RJA