Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    What Are You Reading Right Now?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading Right Now? Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Probably the best novel I’ve read over the last year is “Three Floors Up” by Eshkol Nevo. It’s billed as three interconnecting stories, but most definitely reads as a novel. The setting is an upper-middle-class 6-apt building in suburban Tel Aviv, which focuses on three families (and their neighbors). There’s universal appeal here, underpinned by Freudian concepts: these stories could have happened anywhere. But placing it in modern-day Israel is a rare bonus. We get a look at ‘regular’ middle-class life, southern climes where a son retreats to an agricultural outpost, and urban Tel Aviv gripped in a moment of social activism [where a widowed spouse ends up].

Posts: 2488 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It sounds marvelous.

Have any of you read either "The Midnight Library" (Matt Haig) or "The Great Alone?" (Kristin Hannah). Those two sound intriguing. I do like Kristin Hannah.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24511 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oops, sorry to drop the ball, Kalleh! I haven’t read either.

Our book club [re-] read, of all things, Daphne DuMaurier’s “Rebecca.” A blast from the distant past, & oh boy did I ever enjoy it. So much so, I ordered used copies of a couple other DuMauriers I’m sure I read long ago, to take on vacation.

Now we’re reading “The Narrow Road to the Deep North” (Richard Flanagan). I may have to leave it unfinished. It’s a truly great novel, so I’ll try to force myself—but the passages on the Japanese prisoner camp are tough going. (The author’s dad was part of the force that built the railroad thro the jungle to Burma). The protagonist is fictional, re-creating memories of his long life in Australia. Great setting [except for Asian jungle!], fascinating characters.

Next up is Louise Erdrich’s “Night Watchman,” & looking forward to it. Ever read her? I’ve read maybe five already (over the last 25 yrs). Her mother was 1/2 Ojibwe, & parents taught at one of those reservation schools; they’re always about contemporary Native American life/ experience.

Posts: 2488 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual, I'm reading nonfiction: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...nk-mark-bittman.html A book the corporations will find hard to digest.

Posts: 5651 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Geoff, that book looks terrific. I'm not great at finishing non-fiction books. "White Trash" [Isenberg] has been waiting for me to pick it up again 5 yrs later even though it was very interesting. And I haven't even opened "Winners Take All" [Giridharadas]. But this one looks manageable, & fascinating.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
As usual, I'm reading nonfiction: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...nk-mark-bittman.html A book the corporations will find hard to digest.

Ooops... there goes another of those pesky pay-walls.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 8794 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Ooops... there goes another of those pesky pay-walls.

So annoying, ain't it? Hubby & I (former NYers) just can't break the habit: STILL paying a ridiculous $amount for Sat/Sun delivery of a real-feel-it-real NYT, which gives us access to full online content. Online alone is far cheaper. It's #1 on the got-to-go list [re: retirement budget]. (If you don't count downsizing [over my dead body].) Meanwhile as a teacher, I get half off the WaPo online content-- one yr of that = 1 mo of IRL NYT. And I actually read far more WaPo than NYT articles. Red Face