Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Question to all: Etymology of sexual l-word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question to all: Etymology of sexual l-word Login/Join

posted
We've noted that many words pertaining to sex are l-words, such as lascivious, lecher, lenocinant, lewd, libertine, libido, licentious, loose, Lothario, lust.

I wondered if all or many might come from some common source, but checking AHD showed that they do not – according to AHD and etymology on-line.

But I have my doubts. Many of the supposedly separate roots revolve around a concept of "freedom": free-flowing water and licking; freedom and license; freedom and liberation. For example, here are what those authorities list as the ultimate sources of some of our l-words:
  • leubh- "to care, desire; love" gave us love and libido
  • leudh- (to mount up, grow) led to Latin liber, free, from which we get libertine (and also "liberal" and "liberty").
  • las- (to be eager, wanton, or unruly) gave us lascivious and lust (and also wanderlust") – though it also links this to a German word meaning "pleasure", not "wanton".
  • leigh- (to lick) gave us lecher.
    [But these authorities don't connect this "to lick" with "liquid" or "lingual" (tongue): AHD traces them back only to Latin's liqui "to melt, flow;" and lingua "tongue."]
  • Latin licere (to be allowed) gave us lascivious (as well as "license" and "licit")

Do you see a pattern here? My strong suspicion is that most or all of our sexual l-words (and one might add lickerish, love and like, and perhaps leave [permission]) trace back to some root meaning something like "freedom" or "unconstrained from doing what pleases you". Can anyone help me dig deeper?

[This message was edited by wordnerd on Sun Oct 12th, 2003 at 14:19.]

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Whether there's a common root I know not, but it appears that a perversion of original intent and/or meaning created their sexual connotations in most cases. Perhaps we just like to find sex wherever we look! Some of us just relax and enjoy it more than others, though! Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post