Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Voluble Milton Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Knowledge and culture don’t come easily. For even a basic talking-knowledge of a subject, you usually have to plod through and synthesize a thick stack of reading.

So how fortunate to stumble upon a piece which, in a few minute’s reading, makes you far more knowledgeable on a topic than you’d been before.

Rare fortune smiled on me today. I’d known almost nothing of John Milton. But what a change today, in five minute’s reading, thanks to a book-review of an edited compilation for Milton’s 400th birthday.

I share that good fortune with you. Enjoy your read! Here’s one particular gem that happens to be word-related (ellipses omitted).
quote:
The most valuable result of the anti-Miltonist campaign was the counter-reaction. Later critics, provoked into examining Milton's language more closely, have revealed a rich multiplicity of wordplay and subtle verbal effects. Far from being loose and rhetorical, his lines are saturated with meaning.

The Modern Library editors offer enough examples to give readers a good idea of what to look out for. In "Paradise Lost," to take a single small instance, the serpent as it first approaches Eve is "voluble and bold, now hid, now seen." The editors explain that "voluble" is being used in its original Latin sense, to mean "rolling along." But they make the further point that voluble in its modern sense -- "talkative" -- is what the serpent is about to become.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you!!!!

(EDITED to remove OT link)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Hello Mayaren,

Welcome to this board - I hope you enjoy it here.

Forgive me for asking, though, but what are the word-related aspects of your three postings? We all like to join in but can only do so if we know what it is you're getting at!

I fear I do not see the philological or lexical aspects of your postings thus far. And what, pray, is WOW Gold?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If we wanted commercial announcements we'd turn on the television.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Richard. Mayaren1's posts are spam. Pure and simple.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought they probably were, Bob, but I like to give everyone a chance to justify him or herself. The other two posts didn't seem to be advertising anything - although I didn't study them in detail.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't study them in detail.
Too late. As Bob says, they were spam, and have now been deleted.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did look at the link and it takes you to some strange magazine, full of a load of superstitious twaddle about making gold and the mythical beings that make it. Although there are links that supposedly allow you to order gold or talk to them, they all route back to the main page.

So it's a simple spam that this character is using for no purpose other than to air his or her daft ideas. No rip-off or con involved (which is, I have to say, a refreshing change).

Richard English