Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pyxis Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We were at the Art Institute in Chicago today, and there was an Egyptian exhibit which contained a pyxis. In nursing we have Pyxis medstations that holds medications for patients. I had always thought pyxis was the trade name for it, but now I wonder if it comes from the word pyxis that means a box used for toilet articles.

Have you heard the word pyxis (plural pyxides) before? How has it been used?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A pyxis is a deformed elf.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Have you heard the word pyxis (plural pyxides) before? How has it been used?

Yes, but only in an historical or archeological context. The English word box is from the Greek puksis via latin buxis.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to know whether the medication stations were named after this word. On the one hand, where else could that name have come from? On the other, it would seem to be quite a leap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
The English word box is... via latin buxis.

Ahh, so that's where we get "buxom!" Boobs like a box! Roll Eyes

Speaking of odd names for medical devices, my spouse was in a car wreck the day before she was scheduled to visit her neurologist in Indianapolis, and was in no shape to drive, so I drove her there. While there I noticed the brand name on the electromyograph: Viking Quest. It left me wondering whether Norwegians have bad nerves, but Sue told me not to ask the doc. Frown

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'd just like to know whether the medication stations were named after this word.

And I just answered another question you asked. I would find it hard to believe that the medical device's name does not come from the Greek word. After all a good deal of medical terminology comes from Greek and Latin. Why would you think it did not come from this word?

The boxes usually held makeup, unguent, or some rare mixtures ...

Buxom did not always mean 'pleasingly plump, zafdig'; once upon a time (link) it meant 'obedient, pliant' < Old English buhsum. < PIE *bheug- 'bend, submit'. It then changed meaning to 'lively, gay' and ended up with its current meanings. "How the language doth change" quotha.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fooey, z, your link won't work! At any rate, I'm always suspicious of English words with an "x" in them. We really don't seem to know what to do with that letter. Is it pronounced, "z," or "k," or "h," or... ?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
What's happening here? I can't see z's messages any more! I clicked on preferences and it says I'm ignoring his posts. This is nuts! HELLLLLP!!!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, all I can figure is that you clicked something by mistake. Maybe arnie can help? I'll PM him.
quote:
but Sue told me not to ask the doc.
That sounds just like something Shu would want to ask a physician, and Sue's response is just like mine would have been! Wink
quote:
Why would you think it did not come from this word?
The word box can mean a number of things, so I perhaps I should have. This, however, is a locked cabinet, with lots of drawers, to store medicine. Is that a box? Well...maybe. Secondly, pyxis now means a box to hold toiletries. Why would they take a box to hold toiletries to mean a locked cabinet for medications? But I certainly trust your judgment, z, so I am now thoroughly convinced.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:
Why would you think it did not come from this word?
The word box can mean a number of things, so I perhaps I should have. This, however, is a locked cabinet, with lots of drawers, to store medicine. Is that a box? Well...maybe. Secondly, pyxis now means a box to hold toiletries. Why would they take a box to hold toiletries to mean a locked cabinet for medications? But I certainly trust your judgment, z, so I am now thoroughly convinced.

(Heh -- it's taken a week for me to get "approved" to post a response.)

Yes, the name of the medication management system came from the Greek word. I left Pyxis a few years ago (Pyxis Corporation, later a division of Cardinal Health, now a division of the spinout CareFusion) but I was there in the very early days and am still in contact with the original VCs.

I've uploaded a copy of one of the earliest MedStation brochures; you can see at the top of the second page a picture of a clay-pot-pyxis, hearkening to the origin (and confirming the connection.)

As to toiletries vs. medications, the prevalence of the Pyxis Medstation makes it hard to search on "pyxis medications" to research, but if you use the plural form ("pyxides medications") as your search, you'll find numerous sources supporting that pyxides were also used for medication storage. (You can also go down a whole 'nother avenue by searching on "pyxides compass", incidentally.)

--Laird

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lairdb,

posted Hide Post
Interesting stuff! Thanks for sticking with it and getting registered!

Geoff

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thank you for registering, and I think I am the culprit in getting you registered in a timely manner. Arnie usually does that, but he was in Ireland for awhile. By the time I thought about there, there were several in the queue.

It's so nice having someone from Pixis here...and early on when it started! I am a nurse, so I have used those machines a lot. Thanks for the info...and we hope you'll stay around!