Wordcraft Community Home Page
avarice/avariciousness

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/1841075531

January 26, 2005, 20:07
wordnerd
avarice/avariciousness
Is there any difference between avarice and avariciousness? Or have we simply taken the noun avarice, added the suffix -ious to produce the adjective avaricious, and then added another suffix -ness to get back again to a noun, avariciousness?

Are there many other words that manifest the same process of adding one suffix, and then adding another to get back to where you started?

Is there a name for this process?
January 27, 2005, 06:31
jheem
Is there any difference between avarice and avariciousness?

Yes, two syllables.

Is there a name for this process?

Derivation.
January 27, 2005, 18:47
Kalleh
As Tinman says here, they seem to mean exactly the same thing. I don't understand why you would have two identical words. Synonyms are one thing because they are different words at least. Here, they are just derivations of each other. That seems stupid to me.
January 28, 2005, 08:25
arnie
Another example: burgle and burglarise.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 28, 2005, 08:33
jheem
Another example: burgle and burglarise.

In this case, the shorter one is the secondary form by back-formation.
January 28, 2005, 19:10
Kalleh
If we say burgle here, I surely haven't heard it. It sounds like one who eats "burgers." Wink
January 28, 2005, 23:23
tinman
How about signs and signage, use and utilize?

Tinman
January 29, 2005, 03:58
Richard English
There's certainly a difference between signs and signage in the UK.

Signs can be almost any kind of visual representation of information, from gestures to motorway speed restrictions. Signage, though, is the overall policy or system used for signs in a particular situation.

There is another noun derived from the verb, "to sign" which is "a signing". This is usually used in respect of a contractual signing, often of a sporting figure. "Idiotshire United's latest signing, Fred Bloggs"

Richard English
January 29, 2005, 04:37
arnie
quote:
If we say burgle here, I surely haven't heard it
It's the most common form here in the UK. Burglarise is rare. I imagine most would think burglarise is an Americanism.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
January 29, 2005, 18:23
Kalleh
I agree that "use" and "utilize" identical; in academia whenever I wrote papers with "use" in them, my colleagues would immediately suggest I change it to "utilize."

However, I agree with Richard about "signs" and "signage."

arnie, obviously it could just be that I haven't heard of "burgle." How's about it, fellow Americans?
January 29, 2005, 19:44
Caterwauller
I've also heard the verb "signing" used in reference to people who speak in American Sign Language.

I've heard the term "burgle" but to be honest I don't recall if it was an American thing or if it was a Brit thing that had leaked over to our side. I tend to read books that have Britishisms.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama