Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"nemesetic" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
jheem: the Greek word nemesetikos which LSJ glosses as "disposed to indignation at any one's undeserved good or ill fortune". Derivation of nemesetos "causing indignation or wrath, worthy of it".

I think I'll coin the word: nemesetic. Want to champion my neologism?

[PS: What is "LSJ"?]

Yes, an excellent word. Even better than schadenfreude, because their's no word already available for the concept.

You've given us the adjective form, jheem. What would be the noun form?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
LSJ is Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, and Henry Stuart Jones, Greek-English Lexicon, is the best classical Greek dictionary in English. It's also online at the Perseus Digital Library site (see below). H G Liddell was Alice (in Wonderland) Liddell's father.

http://perseus.uchicago.edu/

Oh, the nominal form is: nemesete /'nEm@,sit/. Ex. "Fred was a nemesete from puberty on."

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Sorry, jheem. I was unclear when I asked, "What would be the noun form?" Let me clarify.

The words for many "-isms" and the like come in three forms: the general noun, the adjective form, and the person who is an adherent . For example:

Judaism means the Jewish religion practiced by a Jew.
Claustrophobia means the claustrophobic feeling suffered by a claustrophobe.
Democracy means the democratic system espoused by a democrat.

In that spirit, what would the form be here?
Nemes_____ means the nemesetic feeling suffered by a nemesete.

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Ah, nemesecy, I suppose.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
You've been set up, jheem. Smile Let's review:

Democracy means the democratic system espoused by a democrat.
Advocacy means the advocative work of an advocate..

So on that basis, the word "epicaricacy" would lead naturally to the other forms. One could say either:

..........Democracy means the democratic system espoused by a democrat;
hence Epicaricacy means the epicaricatic feelings of an epicaricat,
....................or
..........Advocacy means the advocative work of an advocate;
hence Epicaricacy means the epicaricative feelings of an epicaricate..

On the other hand, does "shadenfreude" give those forms? Is there any natural way to complete the idea that "Schadenfreude means the schaden_____ feelings of a schaden_____"?

Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Nice try, shufitz, but ...

nemesetic < nemesetikos
nemesecy < nemesetia (cf. democracy)

epichairekakia > epichaerekaky

This is one of the reasons I don't like the e-word, it looks like somebody unfamiliar with Greek heard somebody say the word and then tried to transcribe it.

We must preserve the original kaka, kakos sounds in the word. That's all, and besides I said that I was coining a new word for Kalleh to champion. Toodles.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
[Note to jheem: I was editing my post while you were responding.]

My point here is simply this. Because English uses many words from Greek and Latin, we are familiar with how modify their endings to make a related form. Those modifications come naturally to the tongue, even if the original word is new to us.

But we borrow relatively few words from German. So we have no easy, natural way to make alternate forms of a German borrowing.

To me this suggests that all else being equal, a Greek or Latinate borrowing or coinage is preferable to a Germanic one, simply because it provides more flexibility.

Of course, that's just one factor, "all else being equal".

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, it does depend on the German word.

Rucksack, blitz and kindergarten seem to have made the trip into English without too much difficulty.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
It also helps that German is both written in the Latin alphabet and is a living language. Classical Greek, from which we get a large percentage of our scientific vocabulary is written in a different alphabet, and few people are familiar with how it was probably pronounced.