Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Wordspotting: fauxtography
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordspotting: fauxtography Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
What do you call misleading images created by digitally altering a photograph?
    ... the shame visited this summer upon certain photojournalists for their "fauxtography" in Lebanon -- darkening skies, adding smoke and fire to scenes of battle ...
    - Wall Street Journal, Sept. 19, 2006, p.D6 col.1

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shufitz,

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Very interesting term! Did you know that "fixing" photographs is nothing new? Many of the very famous photos taken of the American Civil War by Matthew Brady and his group were "staged". They had a practice of moving bodies and props to the "perfect" locations for their images. Gruesome.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No, CW, I hadn't known that. How interesting! Nowadays it is so easy, though, to change any part of the picture. I was amazed at how they "fixed" the photos of Katie Couric. Heck, even the most amateur photographer can completely change a photo.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I doubt that "fauxtography" will catch on, though it's quite a clever coinage. The problem would be when someone spoke it ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
fauxtography

The first time I saw this word, or rather its French version fauxtografie was in a film by Godard. Might've been Week-end (1967). The meaning, if any, was different.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post