Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Korkease Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
What is(are) 'Korkease?' Are they shoes? I couldn't find the word in onelook or even Google.

Here is the context: "But walking across the wet lawn would have ruined the suede of my 'Korkease.'"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've no idea, but the use of the capital letter seems to indicate the use of a trade name.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
What is (are) 'Korkease?'

Apparently it's a style of sandals from the 1970s. Kork-Ease sounds like a brand name. This site describes them as "a big-bottomed sandal with crisscrossing vamp straps". The next site is by a man born in Belgium in 1951 who likes shoes, especially women's shoes. This paragraph appears near the bottom of the page and is followed by a picture:

"I also saw in San Francisco that lots of people, boys and girls, women and men wore platform sandals with or without wedge heel. I found out they were named Kork-Ease and of course I bought a pair, which I was delighted to wear. In 99 I found a picture of those in a book about shoes which described them as being a big hit all over the states in the seventies, and were worn by both sexes. I was happy I could wear those also with a short and often was complimented by girls, while the men who didn't dare to buy or wear that style often asked me how they felt."

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Not to be confused with "corks," or cork-soled logging boots? And not to be confused with radio comedian Phil Hendry's favorite product, Anal-Ease! Now if you had a logger's boot up the bum, it would all make sense - or not.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tinman. The reference in my book didn't use a hyphen in Kork-Ease, so that was my problem. How did you find it?

posted Hide Post
I started with a search for Korkease on both Google and AltaVista and got nothing. So I tried a search for Kork ease and got 620 hits on Google and 438 on AltaVista. The first hit on Google gave me the correct spelling but little else. A search with the correct spelling yielded the source with the description on AltaVista and the one with the picture on Google. Putting quotation marks around the word or phrase you're looking for sometimes helps. For example, a search for Kork-Ease on AltaVista gave 435 hits, most of which were worthless. But a search for "Kork-Ease" (and also for "kork ease") gave just one hit. Google yielded two hits for Kork-Ease, with or without the quotation marks.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now I see why we have called you the Google champion on this forum! Wink I gave up when I found nothing with "Korkease." Since my book is fiction, I thought maybe they made up the name.