New
Find
Notify
Tools

compound subjects Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale: (in another thread)
Welcome to the board Winterbranch and don't mind Richard. When it comes to discussing beer he's well informed, mostly right and "frequently rather grumpy if American beers or B*******r in particular are mentioned.

Hmmm!
Just reread that and I've spotted a grammatical problem.
In the clause beginning "frequently rather grumpy" there is a compound subject consisting of "American beers" and "B*******r" which I've followed with the plural verb "are". I've checked this and the convention seems to be that where a compound subject consists of a plural and a singular noun joined by "and" then the noun nearest to the verb should determine the plurality.
This would make the clause

"American beers or B*******r in particular are mentionedAmerican beers or B*******r in particular is mentioned."

That just doesn't sound right to me. Opinions anyone? (And yes, I know recasting would solve the problem. I'm more interested in opinions on this specific point.)

Glaubt es mir - das Geheimnis, um die größte Fruchtbarkeit und den größten Genuß vom Dasein einzuernten, heisst: gefährlich leben.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
To me it's an "and/or" question. Were you to say "American beers or Buttwiper..." instead of "American beers and Buttwiper..." it would have changed from singular to plural. You could also eliminate the issue by setting the phrase, "and Buttwiper in particular," off with commas, making the subject singular.

I do hope I've properly interpreted "B*******r!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Asa, I do think you have perfectly interpreted "B*******r! Big Grin

I agree with Asa that it is an "and/or" problem. However, I think it doesn't work to say "American beers or B*******r in particular are mentioned...." With the use of "or" you are saying one "or" the other. Your subject of beers is plural and would need an "are", but your subject of B*******r is singular, needing an "is". I think it should be "American beer or B*******r in particular is mentioned...."

However, I have been wrong before--and very possibly may be wrong again--when it comes to grammar questions.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post