Wordcraft Community Home Page
The Celebrated Popping Sprog of Manitoba Provence

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/932607094/m/3526080061

November 09, 2002, 14:48
<Asa Lovejoy>
The Celebrated Popping Sprog of Manitoba Provence
With apologies to Mark Twain for paraphrasing the title of one of his stories, I ask you non-USA residents whether the expression, "pop a sprog" is common where you live. A Canadian pen pal used the expression, the context clearly meaning "to give birth," but I've never heard it in the USA. Whence comes the expression?
November 09, 2002, 17:10
Kalleh
Asa, I am a USA resident, and I agree with you that I have never heard of it. I am interested to find out more about the phrase. confused
November 10, 2002, 02:24
Richard English
I have never heard the expression used in the UK in quite this way, although "sprog" is a common enough slang expression for a child.

Richard English
November 10, 2002, 04:09
BobHale
As Richard says "sprog" is a common expression for a child and I have heard "she's popped" used to mean "given birth" (presumably the image intended being that of shelling peas) but I've never heard the two combined in the way suggested.

Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

Read all about my travels around the world here.
November 10, 2002, 18:08
Morgan
I'm in the U. S. and I never heard this before. It sounds more like a description of someone getting hurt: "OUCH! I think I just popped a sproggggggggggggggggggg!" big grin
November 10, 2002, 19:31
wordnerd
"Sprog" is entirely new to me, but I did find it in one on-line dictionary.
quote:
BRITISH AND AUSTRALIAN SLANG
n: a baby or young child
v. Has she sprogged (=given birth) yet?
According to an interesting account in Word Detective: The word originated in WWII and meant a new recruit or trainee, inferior in rank and social status. It came to mean "child" by about 1945. It seems to be a mutation of the older word "sprag", which had separate meanings around a core concept of "youth": (1) a lively young fellow (2) a young salmon or cod (3) a spray or twig from a bush or other plant.
November 11, 2002, 14:58
Kalleh
While I had never heard of "sprog", now the phrase makes sense; I have heard people say, "I'm going to pop a baby".
November 12, 2002, 09:20
C J Strolin
If you had posted this question without revealing the answer, I would have been tempted to guess it meant taking a pill, probably an illegal or illicit one.

Sidenote: "Chocks" were (and maybe still are: I don't know) a children's multi-vitamin that, in the 60's, ran the advertizing slogan "Pop a Chocks!" It was pulled when it was pointed out that this sort of thing contributed to the drug culture zeitgeist (one of my favorite words!) of that time.
November 12, 2002, 20:55
Morgan
quote:
Sidenote: "Chocks" were (and maybe still are: I don't know) a children's multi-vitamin ...

EWWWWWWWWWW, I remember "Chocks"! They tasted like fruit flavored chalk to me. razz
November 13, 2002, 11:02
C J Strolin
Must've been high in calcium.